Poor Brakes - Master Cylinder ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Keith Zack
Poor Brakes - Master Cylinder ?

1984 90 with 300tdi.

There seems to be no 'power assist' to the operation of the brakes. The actual braking and stopping is fine, but only happens at the bottom of the brake pedal stroke. The first 3/4 of depressing the pedal really doesn't do anything. If the pedal is pumped, it will build pressure.

I can not hear any hissing under the hood with the egine running or not running, pedal depressed or up. I removed the vacuum hose going to the brake booster and it had a lot of suction (though I didn't measure it and do not know what is normal). There are no leaks that I can find and there is no loss of fluid.

I'm wondering if the master cylinder has failed ? Is there a way to check it without removal ?

Thanks for any advise.

Drive the Best - Drive a Hammond
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Michael White
110 Tdi
Make sure your rear drum brakes are properly adjusted - mine started doing what you describe when one of the rear adjusters failed.

Failing that, bleed the brakes and check for small leaks (dirt around brake line fittings).
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag and start slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

brake, master