Polyurethane bushings? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Polyurethane bushings?

Anyone used a Poly bushing kit and care to weigh in on it? I am curious about durability and not going "death wobble" after a few months use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't like them where the radius arms and trailing arms meet the chassis, but I do like them where the arms meet the axles. I also don't like them in the shocks. Basically, I only like them as a substitute for a press-in bushing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats about what I am thinking. I have used polyurethane engine and transmission mounts on other vehicles before, and now that I think about it, polygraphite control arm bushings on another, but I have been hesitant to use poly radius arm bushings on a rover. I had some in the shop and used them as a sort of spacer pad when trying to set up an awkward car on the lift one day. Got the car in the air and looked at the bushing, and it had "deflected" way past what I thought was normal. Sure it wasnt a very scientific test but it squished a LOT more than I thought it would considering it was only a Z3 I had on the lift.

I should add I dont know if the different colors are different hardness ratings or what. I know they make yellow, red and blue. The ones I "tested" were dark blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm pretty sure the color just depends on the manufacturer, I haven't noticed any attempt to stick to a particular meaning for a particular color. I have some orange ones made by Deflex that were incorrectly billed by Rovers North as being the same density as stock rubber. They are in fact much stiffer.

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have Polybush Red (hard) on the back of the 110. It made the truck sway a bit less on exit ramps etc and generally has been fine. Right now I don't have the sway bar on but the stock sway bar on a 110 is pointless in the marshmellow soft rubber mount bushings that rover used. The poly bushings changed all that for the better. The stock rubber compresses and the bar never gets a chance to work as its supposed to. All that said I'm sticking with the stock rubber up front for the smoother ride.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I think the blue is the softest, red medium and orange - most stiff. OME's are yellow and I don't know where they fall into those categories. I bought 2 sets off of ebay both missing parts that the other kit had - so I ended up with a red and a blue.

I have used poly on my 240Turbos where ever I could as it helped locked down the suspension and never had any problem with them whatsoever.

So along comes my purchase of the 94 Soft top. I agree with Jim 100% on not using them for the front radius arms to axle - I replaced those with OEM rubber for articulation purposes. Probably won't use them on front sway bar to frame - same concept - articulation.
Used yellow - OME on the sway bar end links both front and rear.

Used Red on front radius arm to frame no problem whatsoever.
Used red on rear radius as I believe 1. these will last, 2. for handling oversteer purposes - want to cut down on the chance for the rear to come around.

Used blue on the upper radius rear control arms - why - I had them lying around and the red kit was missing these.
Use red on the panhard rod.
Used red on front and rear post shock mounts and yellow on the top rear shock mounts (got the yellow on special from RN).

The truck handles very neutral and I can take the on and off ramps at 65 no worries.
Best thing about poly is that they last. Worst thing is the rumor that they squeak - and I have NEVER experienced any squeking from the polybushings either on the 240 turbos or on the D-90.
I am a poly proponent.

Jim - I just bought a set of sway bar to frame rear bushings in orange and I can send you the Company's info if you like - "JimC - Right now I don't have the sway bar on but the stock sway bar on a 110 is pointless in the marshmellow soft rubber mount bushings that rover used.".
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I was actually advocating using poly at the arm-to-axle, but not the arm-to-frame. If the orange ones you have are deflex, then they're the same cut-rate crap that RN is selling. I planned to experiment with Polybush blue only on the arm-to-axle locations in the future. Everything else gets stock rubber. I'll have to experiment with sways on the 110. In general I'm against them except when my wife is driving, in which case I become in favor of them.

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I'll have to experiment with sways on the 110. In general I'm against them except when my wife is driving, in which case I become in favor of them.
My swaybar is off right now because both the links broke @ Uwharrie and the bar ended up in the springs. We removed it on the trail and zip tied it to the roof rack. With the polybush stuff the sway bar makes a signifigant contribution. If you are going to put weight on the roof rack the rear sway helps a ton.

Clay- pretty sure colors have nothing to do with anything unless within a specific brands offering. Energy suspension offers stuff in most colors of the rainbow for the those trying to use bushing to "dress" rigs up.

I bought my stuff from Polybush UK and tucked it in the battery box of a car I had coming over. The only other poly stuff I have used on cars was Suspension Technique stuff on BMW hot rods I used to play with.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Doug, I spoke with the guys at RN and they are the ones that gave me the heads up about color and stiffness rating but it looks like I have been bamboozeled (rats!)

Jim - have a set of reds for a 110 for the front radius arm to axle. Any interest?

They bushings for the rear sway are sold by Flo-flex and I also purchased the muffler hangers in poly.

I will refrain from making off color remarks on my use of multi-colored bushings on the truck hee hee.
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote: I will refrain from making off color remarks on my use of multi-colored bushings on the truck hee hee.

So your truck looks like the Partridge Family Bus underneath?

Old December 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have all the blue ploy bushing on my truck and after 10k miles, no signs of wear. On my dads series coil truck, we have the OME yellow set. They are great as well.
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Scott,
By implying the Partridge family bus with this be the "Partridge Fimily" with Danny B. or are we talking to remake.
Ya old fart
Yes on my side being it is a AA Soft top it would be with Danny B. so I am border line old fart too. Actually border line if I throw in UHF, Gilligian's Island, and Brady Bunch reruns.
O.k. so we did watch each season of the Love Boat and Fantasy Island never a big Magnum P.I. fan. Damn Ferrari 308's
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I'll give chips its props especially with the femal motorcycle CHPies. They always had the long hair tucked up until the helmet came off. Actually, no rules on the 13 inch black and white with the coat hanger antenna and pliers (channel changers) so I was a big Carson fan.
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I installed Blue Polybush brand on my Discovery last year. There's enough other stuff loose on it that it's hard to tell if there is much difference.
In the Polybush line the color does denote hardness; blue - red - orange = soft - hard - hardest.
I've heard both good and bad about longevity, but never been able to get a clear sense of what brand people are talking about, so it's hard to know if brand is a factor.
I've been told the bush don't fit as tight as OEM rubber on places like radius & trailing arm to frame mount, so the arms tend to rust bad if you're in that part of the country. I liberally applied Never-Seez to mine.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Can you use Never Seez on other Apps? Just kidding.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I've been using it on fasteners, diesel injectors, spark plugs, hi-temp gaskets and lots of other stuff since I first came across it in 1974.
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/?gc...FQsQagodf3Pqhg

Mixed with a little oil it makes a good cutting lubricant for a drill press.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bushings