Polybush vs LR suspension bushings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Polybush vs LR suspension bushings

Does anyone have any thoughts on polybush suspension kits vs. the LR genuine parts? I was considering the orange "standard" firmness. They seem to be a bit less expensive than the LR parts.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9747B.cfm

thanks
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Genuine land rover without question
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's all opinion and what you use the truck for. If you wheel, Polybush. Street truck, go LR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Genuine Land-Rover bush and pleased with it.. I drove a 90 with polybush and it felt too hard. Might be good for cornering but in my opinion, genuine is the way to go.
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Thanks guys. I will stick with genuine parts.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Hmm, I got a set of OME yellows that I need to install as a full kit. The only thing I don't like about them is that they change from yellow to some weird orange. Other than that, they seem to last, at least on the ones I put on my A-arms a few years ago.

Robert Deniro
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Go rubber if you wheel the rig, as the polys are to firm and dont allow the suspension to flex. Polly has its place but in my experience, not on a coiler.

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Genuine rubber all the way.

Trouble with the poly-type-bushes, once they start to "go", the dissolve within about a 100 miles or so. At least rubber ones will handle badly for miles & miles.

I prefer the feel of genuine rubber too..... Where's Merv? :-)
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I had rear a bushing failure on the trail and am looking at my options to replace all my bushings. I've read here and elsewhere that the newer OEM bushings are complete crap and falling apart. I've also read negative things about poly bushings. Any new input? Looking for whatever is the most reliable as I don't want to have to limp home with a busted bushing again.
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Disco View Post
I had rear a bushing failure on the trail and am looking at my options to replace all my bushings. I've read here and elsewhere that the newer OEM bushings are complete crap and falling apart. I've also read negative things about poly bushings. Any new input? Looking for whatever is the most reliable as I don't want to have to limp home with a busted bushing again.
I would NOT go rubber. I had a set of brand new rubber trailing arms bushings fail after one day of moderate wheeling(forest roads mostly). The rubber peeled right off like a donut and was hanging from the trailing arm. I had to roll it back into place and clamp it in place with a hose clamp, then limp it 4 hours home. Screw rubber. IDK if they changed compounds or what. The originals lasted 12 years, and the new set only lasted 1 day of trail riding.
I've been running the Orange Polybush on the frame side of my trailing arms for over two years and they've held up perfectly, no sign of degredation at all.
And for them not flexing......... Those are 315/75/16 BFG KM2's on 3" RTE springs.
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Kevin, go poly

Brett, were they OEM rubber bushings? I ask because I am considering this for a street truck, but won't if they are crap. But I think I'd prefer genuine rubber on a street truck. One of the nice side effects of poly bushes is that they don't need a press to fit or remove.
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Kevin, go poly

Brett, were they OEM rubber bushings? I ask because I am considering this for a street truck, but won't if they are crap. But I think I'd prefer genuine rubber on a street truck. One of the nice side effects of poly bushes is that they don't need a press to fit or remove.
For the life of me I can't find the dang receipt of where I got them from. Therefore I can't say for certain they were 100% Genuine and not Britpart or something else. There were, most definitely, rubber though.
When it happened I called Justin and asked for his opinion. He said to go with the Orange(Dynamic) Poly's. He said they hold up very well and they do.
Rubber would probably be ok for a street only truck. But given how fast mine got torn up on only light off roading I wouldn't expect more than a couple years from them on the street.
I have a press at work so that didn't influence my decision at all. I was looking purely for durability.
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Looks like they flex plenty. Thanks for the info fellas
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Y'all have mentioned using a press for the rubbers... is there a trick or technique for the weekend wrench turner to change these at home?
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Just to recap up to this point since you have completely varying opinions.

One person has said polybushings on a wheeling rig and rubber OE on a street truck.
A second person has said rubber OE on a wheeling rig and polybushings on a street truck.
A third has said rubber OE only because of the way polybushings disintegrate.
A fourth has said polybushings all the way because of the new quality of rubber OE.

Whatever you do, do your research and realize that Polybush is not the same as polyurethane bushing kits. Polybush is a specific brand.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Y'all have mentioned using a press for the rubbers... is there a trick or technique for the weekend wrench turner to change these at home?
Burn the rubber bushings out of the front arms...worked for me! Then (carefully) sawzall the outer metal sleeve from the front arms until you can chisel them out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
I've had both rubber, and full Poly (Red-the most hard/extreme) on my Bilstein/OEM springed suspension with 80/20% (Street/Offroad) driven D-90 and can tell you this:

OEM Rubber bushings:
+Supple ride
-Slight "slop" in the handling
-Wear faster

"Red" Poly-bushings:
+Longer wear
+Less initial expense, and lower, less frequent replacement expense.
+Sportier handling on-road (Vehicle handling noticeably more nimble, accurate, and without slop)
-The "Red" bushings are hard enough to cause a slight amount of reverberation in the steering when driven at speed over uneven terrain (rail road tracks, etc).

*Don't notice enough difference off road to comment on it.
*Zero added suspension noise (as some suggest) with Poly bushings
*If I had to do it over again, I would've gone with the "Orange" versions (not available at the time I purchased) to avoid the infrequent reverberation all together. They're harder than the "Blue", but softer than the Reds.
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have some sets of blue poly bushings if anyone is interested with bolt kit... I love them and have no wear at all. Not hard either. Flexes great too..
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:12 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Use a 1/2" threaded rod, a couple of washers, a couple of nuts, and two sockets: one with an outside diameter slightly smaller than the bushing's metal sleeve, one with an inside diameter larger than the bushing's metal sleeve. Put one socket on each side of the bushing, put the threaded rod through both sockets, put on the nuts and washers, then tighten. You'll likely need to apply heat via propane torch. You'll also likely go through multiple threaded rods.

I've used the method on bushings on my Defender and my old CJ.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:47 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Polybush was probably the worst product i've ever put on my D90. They were installed on the radius arms and trailing arms right before a trip to Moab. Drove x-country with no issue.. did one trail.. ONE.. and both rears failed. When I say failed.. i mean the rubber fell apart and disintegrated. As I drove, the rear axle would shift around and I'd have to correct with the steering wheel whether i was on the gas or brake. Same suspension.. put on OEM rubber and no issue after 50+ trails.

Changing these bushing are a bitch.. might as well do it right. go OEM for sure. Some people seem to have a fine experience with em but I would say they are down right dangerous on even a slightly modified defender.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bushings