POE hardtop "tech" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2005, 12:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

POE hardtop "tech"

I pulled the POE alum top off of my truck, a few things of note:
1. It is not like a SW top or EURO spec top, there are several differences.
a. The top is drilled to mount over the lower part of the cage that runs behind the seats.
b. The rear mounts actually use little plates that bolt where the rear cage would bolt.
c. The windscreen is a ST windscreen, where the bolts go it looks different from what I saw on other tops

2. The front part of the cage is a ST cage. To make it fit, the guys at the port basically just bent it up to have it mate with the mounts on the roof. ON mine the mounts on the roof were: 1. not even left to right 2. about an inch too far back. It looks like hack city. "I" could have done a better job and I am the king hacker.

3. It is assembled with some really odd hardware like nut plates and such. Some of it is series truck stuff other stuff I have never seen before. It seems it would be a challenge to replicate properly (if that term can be applied to what land rover did) with a standard euro top, but it certainly is doable.

On the plus side I had it off in an hour or so, and the cage should go on in 30 minutes tops.

BOTTOM LINE: WAY better than the fibreglass top.
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2005, 01:58 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Do you think you could take pictures of the mounting hardware that connects the windscreen to hardtop?

I have an ST windscreen that I have a hardtop attached to, The hardware I have now works, but I'm curious what LR did.

Thanks
Steve
ssfrancis@gmail.com
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

The windscreen uses bolt into the stock rivnuts, nothing special as far as I can tell--just different from SW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Great. Thats all I wanted to know. I thought LR may have done something fancy... but I always forget it's a defender and that's why I love it.

Thanks

Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hardtop