POE Door questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

POE Door questions

Would appreciate some advice from someone familiar with the POE style rear doors.

I am trying to make a split rear door for my 90 ROW Wagon so that I don't have to swap out the door and tire carrier when I take off the hardtop. My thought was that I could just cut the standard door in half at the capping line and put a piece of angle iron on each half then bolt it together through the angle iron. This would essentially make it like the two piece glass top front door on a series or NAS. When bolted together it would function as a normal wagon door but in the summer I could take off the top glass portion and upper hinge. This would allow me to keep my Mantec tire carrier and subwoofer mounted to the lower portion swing out door on two hinges and the tire carrier hinges.

I have never looked at a POE style door and top closely but I thought that setup could work if I determine that I can't make it work out cutting the existing door.
Are there aluminum roofs with POE style doors? Are they the same as a regular roof? Could you mount an aluminum POE door on a standard hard top if you spaced the hinge mounts out enough to clear the rain gutter? Maybe use hinges from a new wrangler hard top?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am sure I am not the first person to want to enjoy a metal hard top and go topless in the same vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There have been a few people who have cut their SW doors - user don comes to mind - if you look in his build thread.

You'll have difficulty finding a POE rear door. I usually see the Series 2-piece doors come up for sale far more frequently.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

POE and Series IIA clam shell will both work with a standard Alum hard top. The clam shell is not too hard to find I have a brand new one sitting in my garage but the hinges are the hard part to get.

Search POE there have been a bunch of threads on the subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

In theory, this sounds like it will work well. The POE "door top" hinges from the top, it is a liftgate as opposed to a door top.

Part #'s26,27 and 28 shows series hinges--which look identical to those used on a POE here: http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/94

I am going from memory here, so I cannot say the series parts are indeed identical, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Missing my POE,

Chuck
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:02 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Series and POE lift gates are different. The series upper overlaps the bottom, the POE does not. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13886 -Jeff
In one of the threads years ago you said you were going to cut your rear door. Did you ever give it a shot? I found a pic of someone who had done it but it didn't show the top part connected.

I have found an aluminum POE door half and a tailgate but I am worried about finding the hinges and the lock/handle mechanism between the two halves.

Has anyone heard of someone trying to use new model wrangler hinges or something similar mounted on the outside spaced out over the rain gutter?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions