Plumbing Tank/Circulation Heater 200TDI - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Plumbing Tank/Circulation Heater 200TDI

Any suggestions on how to plumb a Zerostart Series 8000 tank/circulation heater into a 200TDI block? Basically it needs a free-flowing path from the bottom to top of the block to circulate/heat the coolant. These are an alternative to standard freeze plug block heaters.

My instinct is to take input from the block drain screw (which I hope fits the adapter provided but I'm not betting on it) and then the output into the heater matrix return hose with the Y connector, does that sound correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
No help, but let us know how it works out.
I need one in my 110.
My block heater is a huge help on cold nights, but your deal sounds like it would be a lot more effective at getting even more heat going. My truck is just over 100 when I go out in the AM. Outside temp in the 20's.
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Will do, it is 1500w so should help. I do plan on adding an airtop diesel air heater and a diesel coolant heater.when funds allow since many f my nights will be away from home in wilderness areas but it was hard to pass up a $70 solution that should work fine at home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

any news on this? I am looking at the same solution.
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Zerostart (aka Temro) 600W 'freeze plug heater' P/N 3100087 fits a 200TDi
Hey Matt, This is what I used
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I have it installed, just need to clear the snow so I can roll it outside and get the system bled so I can give it a try. I plumbed it between the bottom rad hose using the expansion tank line and a Y-fitting and the return line for the passenger heater core with a second Y-fitting. Hopefully it circulates well, the path is clear at least and it's mounted low as the instructions indicate is correct.

Will know by morning how it works.

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Thanks for the updates guys let me know how they work. What plug did you remove to put in the new one? My truck is going to be back on the road soon and I want heat
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Just moved it outside to cool down, hopefully I'll be able to test the heater in a couple hours. I also decided to change the thermostat in case the current one was leaking as I was having real problems getting the operating temperature above about 150F which really makes the heater suck.

I'll take some photos and post some instructions once I know I haven't done something really stupid in the process. The way I connected things it would probably make sense for me to fit a back-flow check valve in the return line but only testing will confirm.

Old December 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

nice thanks dude
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A regular block heater is much better. I tried a circulation heater, but could not get it to work well.

As to thermostats, I find a large percentage leak and I needed to go through a few before a found one that worked properly.
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

I know they prob work better I just cant see myself putting one in a freeze plug. Just seems to likely to fail and ruin the whole motor as opposed to failing and just leaking or not working.

Most likely I will be starting with a stick on pan heater and putting some sort of coolant heater on later
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Just did a ton of research on this block heater.

Carquest is the only major autoparts carrier that I could find that had a record of it. But they no longer carry it, they have a interchange version that is a copy. instead of 2.06" in it is 2.05" both 600W. It is also a bit cheaper at $51.xx after tax in NJ.

Thats only a difference of one one hundredth of an inch and it is an interference fit So we "should" be Ok.

I found it online in a few spots but this was a one day wait with no shipping. Ill let you know how it goes with some pics too. I will also be installing a oil pan heater.

IM guessing RTV would also be good to use here?
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:11 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=544610503 is one pic (sorry uploaded from phone and didn't know it would end up sideways) showing where I put the heater. Low and put the bracket onto the inner fender support bolt, then plumbed the output into the output of the heater core using a Y fitting and the input into the overflow tank bleed hose using the same kind of Y fitting, the check-valve in the heater prevents reverse flow and when it's plugged in you can see the coolant moving quite a bit. The trick is to have the input as low as possible and the output as straight up as you can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, heater, tdi