Please Help Identify My Soft Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Please Help Identify My Soft Top

I just scored a killer deal on a soft top for my D90 build. It was on CL as a 1990 Land Rover/Tracker back top, no rips or tears. Kid didn't really know much about it, I figured it was a Surry top or something. He said the truck used to belong to his work and they'd sold it and had this top laying around and were cleaning up the shop. I'm assuming he was mixed up about the 90 designation, thought it was the year rather than the model of the vehicle. He seemed to know very little about Land Rovers (Hope the thing isn't hot!)

Turns out it's a brand new, never installed full soft top. Still has the tissue paper protecting the widows. Has Alpine windows and zip-up sides. The material is a very dark grey and has Land Rover logos on the bottom of the flaps just behind the doors. It has a label that reads "Coventry Hood" which I find is now owned by Trim Technologies, but I can't find a site with any product listings.

Anyone familiar with this top? Seems to be pretty high quality, wondering who sells them over here and how much it sold for originally...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
I just scored a killer deal on a soft top for my D90 build. It was on CL as a 1990 Land Rover/Tracker back top, no rips or tears. Kid didn't really know much about it, I figured it was a Surry top or something. He said the truck used to belong to his work and they'd sold it and had this top laying around and were cleaning up the shop. I'm assuming he was mixed up about the 90 designation, thought it was the year rather than the model of the vehicle. He seemed to know very little about Land Rovers (Hope the thing isn't hot!)

Turns out it's a brand new, never installed full soft top. Still has the tissue paper protecting the widows. Has Alpine windows and zip-up sides. The material is a very dark grey and has Land Rover logos on the bottom of the flaps just behind the doors. It has a label that reads "Coventry Hood" which I find is now owned by Trim Technologies, but I can't find a site with any product listings.

Anyone familiar with this top? Seems to be pretty high quality, wondering who sells them over here and how much it sold for originally...

Could this be the Tickford? If so you struck gold!
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pics would be verrrry useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

I'll bring it inside later tonight and get some pics...
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

That is a Tickford top. It will have snaps and have to be modified to use on a beltrail system.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Could this be the Tickford? If so you struck gold!
I would have to know what you paid before I said you struck gold. Also if you have a 95 not a 94 it is basically useless.
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

I have a '95, but it's basically a steadily growing pile of parts at this point and I';m figuring on doing quite a bit of fabrication anyway, so anything is possible.

And I gave a pair of Ben Franklins for it...
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

There's a guy here advertising one on Craigslist who thinks its worth $2000. Certainly makes $200 look like an even better deal!

Rob
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

I'm having a hard time trying to get some pics...I don't have any place in my house large enough to lay this thing out and it's pouring outside. I'll try tomorrow, weather permitting.

But it does have snaps where the side and back flaps attach to the tub. Beginning to sound to me like maybe it is indeed the aforementioned Tickford...
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I would have to know what you paid before I said you struck gold. Also if you have a 95 not a 94 it is basically useless.
If it is a brand new tickford top I would say he struck gold. He said they didn't know what it was so I assume he didn't pay much for it. I think there are A lot of 90 owners including me when I had my ST who loved the tickford top.
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:14 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
If it is a brand new tickford top I would say he struck gold. He said they didn't know what it was so I assume he didn't pay much for it. I think there are A lot of 90 owners including me when I had my ST who loved the tickford top.
The Tickford is a nice look (I love it too) but realistically not very functional in that you have to have snaps and the material doesn't stretch well making it a bitch to get on. In fact it tends to shrink quite a bit. The Tickford Surrey I have takes forever to get on the truck so once it's on, it rarely ever comes off. So, I agree the price is nice but you may be better off getting a used Bestop (the beltrail is far superior to the snaps). I actually think Badger has old Tickfords for sale albeit not new...they are available. Good luck, I'm interested to see how this project comes out.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
The Tickford is a nice look (I love it too) but realistically not very functional in that you have to have snaps and the material doesn't stretch well making it a bitch to get on. In fact it tends to shrink quite a bit. The Tickford Surrey I have takes forever to get on the truck so once it's on, it rarely ever comes off. So, I agree the price is nice but you may be better off getting a used Bestop (the beltrail is far superior to the snaps). I actually think Badger has old Tickfords for sale albeit not new...they are available. Good luck, I'm interested to see how this project comes out.
I should have been more clear. I don't think you struck gold because of how much you can sell it for. I mean how cool would it be to find a brand new Tickford top let alone for $200.00. I agree with you the snaps are a PIA. But I just think its such a cool top, roll up windows and all. I also think it seals much better around the doors then the Besttop. IMO

I had no idea that Badger makes the Tickford...that's pretty cool.

When I had my ST I had the Ticford Surrey on from spring-fall. Those rear snaps where insane in the fall and early spring......it was such a nicer Surrey though then the Besttop if you ask me even though it was a pain to snap it.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Thanks for all the input, guys. Still pouring here so no pics today, plus, I have to drive over to Sacramento and yank the engine out of a Disco today so it'll be a little bit before I can get back to messing with this thing...
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Dan, just a picture of one side of it will tell all. The tickford is a good top, so it sounds like a nice score, but at that price it's a nice score for *any* new top
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

I'll take the top with me to Sac. (which is where the Defender is anyway) and take some pics of it there at my buddy's shop.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:

I had no idea that Badger makes the Tickford...that's pretty cool.
Actually, they don't make it but I think they have a bunch laying around for sale. If you like the roll up windows thing, Badger makes a top with that. I believe it's the Badger II.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Ok, here are some of the pics I took the other day. I'm toying with the idea of flipping it at this point, it's really a lot nicer top than I really want for my truck as it's going to be a bit of a beater wheeling rig, and I'd feel really bad if I jammed a tree branch or something through that nice top. And it would be a lot easier if I got the correct top anyway and didn't have to adapt this one to my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	34176   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	34177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	34178   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	612.6 KB
ID:	34179  

Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob

Nice top! I'd pay you $201 for it!

Seriously, what do you want for it?

Rob
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

I think I'd have to let it go for a little more than that! That's the problem with letting everyone here know what I paid for it. Nobody likes to see a person profit from a really good deal and would call me thief or whatever if I were to put an ad in the classifieds here for what the thing is actually worth (which I still don't have a clear idea of yet) while knowing what I paid.

I suspect the one on Cl in Seattle for 2K used is a bit steep, but if he gets it, more power to him.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob

Yeah, that was a joke. If you decide to sell please PM me.

Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top