Please Help Identify My Soft Top - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Of course I realize it was a joke! But hey, what if I'd said okay?!

As I've been amassing parts for this thing and deciding just what way I was going to go with it, I've been envisioning a bimini or surry top for it, not expecting to be able to afford a full soft top right away. But I do like to do a few winter trips and even in the spring and fall the weather can be somewhat uncertain, so I hate to limit myself by not being able to drive it (comfortably anyway) in cold or inclement weather. So finding this top initially had me pretty excited. But I also have no stock Defender roll cage (it was sold to Clay before I ever bought the truck) and had figured on installing a simple roll bar. Getting this top got me to thinking about the sub-structure I'd need to fabricate to support the top, not that it scares me off of the idea but I'll need to get some pretty exact measurements in order to build a workable hoop set for it.

Decisions, decisions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

You'd have $201 in your Paypal account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
Of course I realize it was a joke! But hey, what if I'd said okay?!

Rob
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Dan, with no stock cage I would definitely sell it and get an old top to cut up and make a surrey once you fab up some kind of roll cage. But that top will never fit well without the stock cage.

Have you figured out a price yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
BLUE94
Kelby Saxton
1994 Defender 90

I bought a super nice (although not new) tickford from ECR about a year ago for $600.00 and felt lucky.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

So, is the consensus that this definitely is a Tickford?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
BLUE94
Kelby Saxton
1994 Defender 90

Yes, definitley a tickford.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Dan, with no stock cage I would definitely sell it and get an old top to cut up and make a surrey once you fab up some kind of roll cage. But that top will never fit well without the stock cage.

Have you figured out a price yet?
I'm leaning toward something like 1200 bucks, but a trade and some cash to make up the difference might be doable. There are still a lot of things I need for this truck.

But Charles, don't say something like that or I may keep and install it just to prove that I can make it fit well! I like a challenge...Already been studying pics of cages and thinking about talking to some local buddies with D90s to get some measurements...
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Boy, that sure cooled things off all of a sudden...you all think that's too much?
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

No one is going to pay you $1200 for a tickford. Correction, I should say no one on this board is going to pay you $1200. They are cool and all but if you aren't a purest who wants an all original truck it is actually a shitty top to own. It will shrink and fit like crap in no time plus Badger has tons of them and I think you can buy them slightly used all day long for $600. Most people would rather take the $1200 and put it toward a badger, bestop Rn top, etc.
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Okay, that's good to know. So there are really some inflated numbers being tossed around here. For that, I may as well keep it and go ahead and adapt it to my truck.
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well that is tough to say. If you have a belt rail set up on your truck I would ditch this for $600 to $700 and buy a used bestop. I sold mine when I got a badger for $350 so there are deals out there.
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

My tickford ('94) still fits great. Problem is the windows are discolored, and/or crack, which I have seen happen on a number tops, no matter the brand. Stretching and shrinking happen with other brands too.

IMHO whether your top and glass shrinks, stretches, gets discolored, or cracks, has to do with the weather it is subjected to, and storage methods.

Personally, I wouldnt cut up a NOS tickford top to adapt it to your truck, but you own the top and can do whatever you want with it.
Old December 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah this isn't the place to get $1200, but if you are patient I'm sure there is a buyer out there somewhere

As Barry said, deals on used tops come up every now and then as people upgrade to badgers.
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:58 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The funniest tickford I ever saw was on Yeastie. Not sure if Byron did it or a previous owner but someone added extra fabric to every attachment point because it shrank so badly. It looked pretty funny and still didn't fit correctly. Don't get me wrong the tickford is a cool top and I wish my truck was still set up for it but it was a pain and hated by most customers. After '94 they did away with the mud terrains and the tickford because people complained (might not be the only reason). Badger, Rn, and even bestops are made from better materials that don't shrink the same way.
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Bummer, 'cause I really like the look of the fabric used on this top. Doesn't look as though it would shrink as much as a typical vinyl (or whatever) convertible top...
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I prefer the look too. I prefer the look to the badger I have which is a really nice top. It's the alpine windows and snaps that make it look awesome.

You can call Badger and ask him what he thinks. I think he mentioned that when the complaints started, Land Rover contacted him for ideas.
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mine has had some interesting repairs but on the shrinkage side it really only seems to have affected the rear window which has had a 1 inch piece added just below the window.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top