Please help identify a new mystery noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Please help identify a new mystery noise

I changed my gearbox oil last weekend as it was getting a little hard to shift. It made a great improvement but yesterday my Defender started making strange metallic noise. It's a little hard to pin down but it seems to be coming from either gearbox or transfer case although I'm not sure. It is most prevalent when I shift into 3rd gear, press the gas pedal then back off. It sounds like a metallic rattle. The noise comes when I back off. There is also a slightly different noise when I drive in reverse gear. Initially (yesterday) it sounded like a dangling piece of metal that is loose and hitting another piece of metal. It also sounded like metal rubbing on each other like if your dog cage was loose while driving. Today it has changed somewhat.

It must be the gearbox because thats all I have messed with lately. I replaced the drain plug and all I can think of is that the magnet on the drain plug fell off and is rattling around in there. That or my gears are worn/broken. I checked all underneath the vehicle and didn't see anything suspicious. Your thoughts and theories are highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So it definitely doesn't sound like bad catalytic converter? That's what I was thinking until you said it was happening when you backed off your gas pedal. Plus, as you said, it's usually where you last messed around.
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Don't have a cat. It's a 300tdi. My Magnaflow exhaust is about a year old and it is very solidly attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Check the Ebrake and related items? Im had to be adjusted last night after a drive through brooklyn. Something was rattling, turned out to be a broken exhaust mount and a wonky spring in the E brake
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks like my exhaust mounts are fine but I will look them over again. The E-brake struck my mind but it if its the E-brake wouldn't it rattle just about all the time, not just specifically while reducing power in 3rd?
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

is the rattle constant? like a mechanical ticking that would happen at the same time alway on increase of decrease of speed?

Its not tick tick tick tick....tick......tick..tick.......tick tick tick?

more like tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It isn't. It's temporary and usually happens briefly and randomly when letting off gas. More of a metallic rattle than a consistent ticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
is the rattle constant? like a mechanical ticking that would happen at the same time alway on increase of decrease of speed?

Its not tick tick tick tick....tick......tick..tick.......tick tick tick?

more like tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick?
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Seems like it has to be with the gearbox since you last touched it, but you never know.

I would check your driveshafts for play. Check that metal dust shield that is at the diff/driveshaft connection (mind used to make noise randomly and more in reverse). Also lift one of the wheels off the ground and put it into gear and see if you hear anything when you crawl under it. get a thin pipe and use it as a stethoscope to the gearbox and transfercase.

you said its not your e-brake?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Could it be the Clutch? I haven't ruled out E-brake either. I will check for drive shaft play tonight. Where is the dust shield? Don't know if I have one.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

You have an X-brake? If so, it may be the brake pad; there's instructions on how to fix that.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I don't have an X-brake. Instructions on this board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67
You have an X-brake? If so, it may be the brake pad; there's instructions on how to fix that.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Could it be the Clutch? I haven't ruled out E-brake either. I will check for drive shaft play tonight. Where is the dust shield? Don't know if I have one.
Dust shield should be on output flange to the front driveshaft if I remember correctly. Not the diff, I got confused early in remembering where that noise was coming from. Mine was making noise and I think it was the one on the front output flange from the TC. it made more noise when I went in reverse too.

its a thin metal piece between TC and output flange. sometimes they get cock-eyed and rub against the rotating flange.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
I don't have an X-brake. Instructions on this board?
No, as part of the instructions for installing the x-brake. If you don't have an x-brake, the loose brake pad wouldn't be the rattle.
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:51 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I had a noise sort of like that in my 87 RRC that was driving me nuts. Turned out to be a loose O2 sensor.
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I've been too busy with work to get a good chance to look it over but I have been driving it short distances in the mornings to see if I could better determine what it is. Strange thing is it seems that the noise seems to have diminished quite a bit but It's still there.

It generally reveals itself between 2 & 3rd gear. Mostly prevalent when letting off gas in 3rd but also when engaging the clutch, especially when doing so suddenly. I am wondering if I need a new clutch plate or if something is loose in the clutch? It has to be gearbox or clutch. I don't think its the E-brake anymore. I haven't checked my transfer case oil in quite a while and it leaks. Could it due to low oil level with exposed gears?

I checked the driveshafts. The rear is solid but the front has 1-2MM play in the joint that enters the transfer case. Is this something I should be concerned with? Would it cause a noise? When you engage the clutch the drive shafts stop spraining, right? I also don't think I have a dust shield on my drive shafts. What would it look like?

It sound like a randomized metallic rattle, like something is loose. Like a metal wire hitting metal or metal pieces rattling in a tin can.
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
From your description it sounds a LOT like a mud shield, as already mentioned.

Quote:
I had a noise sort of like that in my 87 RRC that was driving me nuts. Turned out to be a loose O2 sensor.
Diesel = no O2 sensors
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Mud shield on the drive shaft? I didn't see one although I don't know what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
From your description it sounds a LOT like a mud shield, as already mentioned.

Diesel = no O2 sensors
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Someone suggested that the transfer case might be low on oil and therefore is making noise. Mine weeps and I haven't checked it for a long time. Anyone have experience with what a transfer case low on oil sounds like?
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:50 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Mud shield on the drive shaft? I didn't see one although I don't know what it looks like.
On the pinion of the front or rear differential.

Does it ever make the noise when it is sitting still?
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:19 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Quote:
I checked the driveshafts. The rear is solid but the front has 1-2MM play in the joint that enters the transfer case. Is this something I should be concerned with? Would it cause a noise?
IMHO the U joint slop is the first one to fix. That could be the noise - and it needs fixing anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions