Defender Source Forum banner

Please help a UK D90 Owner

Tags
90 d90
3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  mikeslandrover 
#1 ·
Can anyone help, after reading US 4x4 mags you seem to have so much more available to mod your D90's ( wheels,tires,suspension lift kits + lots more ) I would be interested in importing to UK, could you point me in the direction of a website that supplies D90 off-road gear.

If anyone wants any new/used parts finding here in the UK and shipping over to you, I would be happy to try and help.

Thanks very much
John

#2 ·
John,

Check the links section for "Parts and Shops". There are many good links for parts to customize these trucks. If there is anyone specifically you wish to work with, I would be happy to assist if I can help. I have had great luck with Rovers North (www.roversnorth.com). I've spent some $$ with them lately.

I am a bit surprised at your comments as I thought there was a large aftermarket business over there for these trucks. In fact, there are a couple of parts I have considered that are carried by T.B.R. Are you familiar with them? (www.tbruk.com)

Whatever you do, good luck!

Rick

#3 ·
I keep forgetting to add them to the database but Scorpion Racing in the UK sells some real interesting stuff for someone looking for "bolt-on" type stuff. I would compaire them as a UK version of Safari Gard / Rovertym type shops, meaning they have various bolt on suspension packages ranging from mild to much more advanced, bumpers, skids, HD drive shafts (props I think you guys call them), etc.

Rick, there are tons of shops over in the UK that sell acccesories and parts, just that the market for the more aggresive parts are limited mostly to (my understanding) the laws prohibiting those types of modifications on daily drivers. We get away with a lot more "road legal" mods than they can.

#4 ·
I know what you are looking for. There are not many "extreme", as it were, parts makers in the UK. Other than maybe Scorpion. We get all the little stuff from over there. Try www.rovertym.com and www.rockware.com for some good stuff. If you are a millionare and have free months to burn, dare I say it, try www.safarigard.com. Good luck, I just don't know how much of this stuff is legal over there.

#6 ·
Uh, I always do that! it is www.rockware.net Sorry, let me know if I can help you with anything, you want a full bolt in bullet proof axle assembly :party Let me know.

#9 ·
The bad thing about scorpion is the same bad things we have over here. The rear end is sooo easy to pull travel out of and the radius system is some what difficult so everybody engineers an increadible rear end and leaves the front with the same set up and what youve got is a very unbalanced suspension. Does not work that well offroad at all. The only solution right now is custom or the $G 3-link but from a design perspective it really leads a lot to be desired. The only other solution is to drop the coin to fix the front.

#11 ·
Yeah i think they free up a good bit of travel, that setup seems to be popular with Bronco owners. Thats the only edge a **** has on our trucks is it front supension design. Why are the 3link front ends complicated? And what makes em flex so good i dont really understand it that well. and lastly why does a 3 link make the onroad ability of the 90 shitty? why not make the front supension setup similar to the rear?

#12 ·
Oh man, I am at work and these questions are goin to take a good amount of time. Well, I have not sold anything this month so why start now!:grin First up the hinged radius arms. I have not tried them and the closest I have come to see one is the write up. Just from a logic perspective it is going to increase the angle and stress on shocks and steering and possible cause bind in the motion. Does it really?? I doubt it, probably helps out a little. I would need to try it. The three link front ends are not that complicated but need to be designed properly in order to work right. Remember how $G had no idea that the center link would be sucking up 6 times the stress as the radius arms?? Remember how the whole front end ripped off the test truck when it hit it's breaks on a gravel road? :eek: That has since been remedied with the beefed crossmember. They flex so well because the is very little binding in the joints. With a radius arm set up the one arm will cause the axle to twist as it goes up and the other arm will twist the axle the other direction on down travel essentially twisting it to a stop. Works well in most cases and allows us to run on the street with no front or rear sway bars. Just kills travel. The 3 link does not make the truck drive that shitty on the road. It has a lot to do with shock and spring choice. You have to think about this all as a system. $G got it mostly right. If you redesigned a few things it could be better. The front and rear thing is complicated but think of the rear as not mattering. It does but pulling and pushing are very different things. There was a reason horses pulled the wagon! The front end has forces on it that are constantly trying to get it out from undernieth the truck. Things matter more. The jeep set up is a 4 link with a panhard rod. This keeps it in place. Our suspension would not work all that great because it does rely a little on the full time 4 wheel drive. A 3 or 4 link from scratch is the way to go. There are other options and I am working on that now. Well see if it works or I have to scrap it.

#15 ·
For the record fellas Scorpion Racings suspension is actually an unashamed copy of an Italian product made by a company called Equipe 4x4. Check out their rather glitzy website(http://www.fuoristrada.it/equipe4x4/). In Scorpions ads the suspension used to be credited to Equipe then miraculously it became Scorpion branded overnight. The Italians lurve Scorpion....!

The reason we don't have a lot of outlets for the SG, Rockware, Rovertym type of gear in the UK is that the off roading over here is a million miles from what you guys in the States do. We simply don't have the country or the terrain to make use of an extra long travel suspension. You have rocks, we have bogs. You can have all the suspension travel in the world, but it won't do you the slightest bit of good when you're stuck up your door bottoms in the sticky stuff. You may care to note that none of the top 'challenge' vehicles in the UK run extreme suspension, all of them preferring the far simpler yet no less effective OME 2in lift, Simex tyres and ARB combination with a few minor tweaks along the way.

#16 ·
I'd go along with what Kevin says. When you're in a bog, you're in a bog and long travel front/rear travel just means you dig really deep holes.
A friend of mine built his own 3 link suspension, featured in LRM a few months ago, while it balances the front and rear suspension well it isn't the be all and end all. With a bit of careful driving I can usually follow his lead 75% of the time.
He runs ARB's Front & rear, 35"simex extreems and can drive up a ramp and get 38" height difference between opposing front/rear wheels.
I run +2" suspension 7.50" x 16 and standard diffs. I try and keep the truck as light as possible, stuff doesn't break and I float over what others sink into (sometimes). also it's cheaper to fix:sneaky

#20 ·
Hi john the quick answer is you can get 99% of the bits in the uk if you dig about
even micky thompson and large diameter rock tyres.!!

best advise is look about for what you want & you will find it

scrap iron racing will have it in stock if someone else has spent time and effort developing it and it sells.

yep another fan..not!!

regards all
Gren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.