play in clutch pedal suddenly - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 21st, 2014, 03:04 AM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

play in clutch pedal suddenly

'95 D90 NAS SF.
This just seems like it's no bueno. Have noticed a rather sudden onset of a lot more play in the clutch pedal when it's depressed; like not engaging the clutch as soon as before. And this most likely could be explained by . . .?
Thanks for any insight.
Vic
Upland CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2014, 04:32 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

clutch slave in all likelyhood. also check your clutch fluid level first...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:22 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Where in the travel is it engaging? How fluid level?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2014, 09:02 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Happened to me too- after checking all fluid levels and slave/master it ended up being simple. The spring on the pedal had reached then end of its useful life. New spring= happy clutch.

Cheers
Jay
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Spring affects the "feel" of the pedal, ie how hard it feels to push clutch in......it does not affect "when" the clutch engages. But as mentioned it can make the clutch feel better.

If you feel the clutch is engaging at different point it could be the master or slave or fluid level as others have mentioned.

There is also an adjustment rod inside the clutch housing on the bulkhead. Had a double nut that adjusts when the pedal pushes on the master.

The master and slave can and do go bad too often. There are some companies that will "resleeve" them and this will make them last "forever". I had them resleaved.

It's important to make sure to fix this soon as it will wear your clutch prematurely.
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:33 PM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Thanks guys for the points. I'm on it. Well, as soon as the temp falls below 90 degrees I'm on it. I'd have never made it as a professional mechanic for that reason alone.
Now to research the resleeving possibility . . ..
Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch