Defender Source Forum banner

Plastidipped seat box

Tags
seat box
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BlackField 
#1 ·
So I'd seen the youtube videos of guys plastidipping their entire cars. I was considering plastidipping my rims with black plastidip. I also was looking at replacing the hardura on my seat box. Since buying my defender this past spring it was the only major upgrade needed as most of the truck was in great shape considering its age. I had a hard time finding hardura in stock and the exmore trim kits were more than I wanted to spend. I considered spraying in a bed liner as my last Jeep had u-pol raptor bed liner in it and it was great, but seemed too permanent of a decision for a defender. My brother in Phoenix has been plastidipping mustang parts for a few months and said it would peel right off as needed yet was durable.....So I then thought about plastidipping my seat box. If I plastidipped the seat box, why not the tunnel, floorboards, and up the footwell? I figured that I'd be doing most of the cleanup and prep work no matter if a reapplied hardura or another product, so if it didn't work out I'd lose a half Saturday of work and about $30.
It's been in the truck for about a month. It has worn well, but I'm watching some scuff marks near the firewall/accelerator. It seems to have an insulation factor to it as far as heat goes and possibly reduced some road noise. I was hoping for a coat of rubber like on my Channellocks, but it was a little thin for 5 cans which equated to about 3.5 coats.
So far I'm happy with the mod, the work to get it sprayed and the total cost.
Thought I'd share for those looking for similar options.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Awesome thanks for the pics. Let us know how it holds up over the next couple of weeks.

I'm ordering a case of Plastidip for random Caterham and Ducati parts. If I can come up with a good use in the defender I will give it a shot.

#11 ·
It took just under 4 gallons for the MGB. I did 5 coats of base black and 4 coats of the Candy Blue. Than 2 coats of Glossifier to give it the satin shine. The blue is custom using candy pigment from www.paintwithpearls.com mixed into clear dip. 25 grams per gallon.

You don't have to do any scuffing, just make sure the surface is clean. If your going to use a air compressor driven HVLP gun than you will need one with a 2.0 tip. Or you can use something like the HVLP Graco 2900 spray station like I did.

Watch the how to video's on youtube from dipyourcar.com and it's pretty easy.

Oh and the seat box looks good! Sorry for the hijack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.