Plastic Window Sleeves - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Question Plastic Window Sleeves

Hey guys, I took the windows off over the weekend from the 90 for the first time. As expected, I had a great battle with them before they gave in. Now that the windows are out, the plastic sleeves on the studs are still attached to the studs...should I take them out and stick them back on the holes or just leave them on the studs? I plan to buy the quick window bolts in the very near future. But I thought I read somewhere that the sleeves are still needed with the quick bolts.

Someone please enlighten me.

BTW, CVC, I tried the "Click here to find similar topics before posting" and it gave me a Run Time Error.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I say leave the sleeves on the windows. And yes you do need them with the Quick bolts. I'm going to try the "Click here to find similar topics before posting" and let CVC know.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Replace the studs altogether with the stainless steel studs--they do not require sleeves. I think I paid about $50 for the pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2004, 09:53 AM
bugula
Keith DuFresne
'94 AA Yellow 90

before i moved over to the SS Studs, i tossed the sleeves and as long as the quick nuts were tight, there was only the normal amount of rattle from the windows without them. they're a pain in the ass and not worth the aggravation.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thanks guys!

As Murphy's Law would have it, I took em out over the weekend...My wife drives the truck to work Monday and Tuesday when the weather is nice... I get to drive it today and it's pouring here

Anyone got a Defender110 in need of a wife?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:38 PM
ONDROX
d l
1997 defender

what do you guys do with your windows after you have taken them out? I have been rolling mine up--is that smart?
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

D irc, you must be refuring to the rear windows on the side and the back. If you are then I put mine in the bag that cam with the 90 it is felt lined and big enough so you don't have to roll of fold them.
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I would keep the plastic sleeves in a safe place becuase they will fall out if you leave them in the doors As far as storing the windows I bought some of those hangers for pants that clamp onto the pant cuffs (ask your wife/girlfriend/mom she will know what I am taliking about). I clamp them onto the edge of the windows and hang them from the rafters in my basement.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I would put the plastic sleeves in the garbage. They are the reason you had to literally pry the windows off in the first place. Spend the $70 on the stainless steel window studs and never ever look back!......IMOHO
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

i got badgers soft windows and love them, easy in and out and dont rattle.
also got rid of the plastic sleeves and got some soft plastice tubing at Home
Depot that fits on there tightly and seals with the door better for less of a
rattle, its a really cheap easy fix
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Andy has got it...

I totally second the advice of Andy. I had a real problem with my drivers side door top rattling like hell. Took top off and discovered that the plastic inserts were missing. Even with the quicknuts tightened with pliers it still rattled enough to make me crazy.

I used some 1/2" tubing. I believe it is called PFA it is not a soft vinyl tube but rather a stiffer and very slippery type of tubing. I have heard it referred to as Teflon tubing as well. (Wish I could give a more definitive name of this) This tube took a little work to get it on the screws I had to use another piece as a tool to tap them into position and then used the QUicknuts to finalize the driving of them into place. The tubing will not fall off or promote rust. It is loose enough in the door holes so that the top slides in with minimum juggling and the doors do not rattle at all.

The tubing I used is very tough and very slippery....great stuff. A perfect fix with minimal cost. WHy spend the $50 or more when this works great for virtually no $$???

Larry

Larry
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
BTW, CVC, I tried the "Click here to find similar topics before posting" and it gave me a Run Time Error.

Thanks!
Glenn, if this is still happening for you, please post a note in the Help section so I will catch it quicker. Thanks!

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

My tops flapped like crazy untill I replaced the studs with the stainless and quick nuts. Now it doesn't flap.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window