Plastic Fuel Tank Conversion Clarification - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Plastic Fuel Tank Conversion Clarification

Ok so I'm getting close to swapping in a new chassis to my 97 110 300tdi. The chassis I got is a Marsland with the TD5 rear cross-member to work with the newer plastic fuel tanks.

I picked up a Plastic Tank from a breaker which was apparently from a TD5 so here is where things get a little confusing.

The tank part number seems correct WHK100050 and it's dated 2005. That should be a 110 or 130 diesel tank, so no problems there.

What I expected to see next was a fuel sender with four outlets and a four pin electrical connection, and a fuel pump attached to the sender unit. Well that's not what's in there. Instead there are two pipes from the sender, and there is absolutely no fuel pump.

This all seemed great since a 300tdi has the fuel pump on the engine and I was either going to have to replace or modify the sender, I expected to be in there, to make it work. However when I check the part number of the sender that's in there now (it's WQB100430) and according to everything I can find this is for a 300tdi D90 plastic tank.

The sender that the literature claims should be in a 110 plastic tank with a 300tdi is WBQ100440.

Does anyone know if the combination I have of tank and sender will actually register accurately? I'm wondering if the breaker just shoved something non-original in there, or if it actually came like this?

So to clarify what I have

Tank: WHK100050
Sender: WQB100430
Engine: 300tdi

I would really appreciate some help figuring out this riddle.

Cheers,
Will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4932.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	109977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	109978  

Name:	IMG_4934.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	109979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4935.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	109980  

Name:	IMG_4936.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	109981  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:48 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I should have noticed this yesterday the sender(fuel feed unit) is dated 2009 so most likely a later addition to the 2005 tank. It's a VDO unit and doing a little online digging sellers of the WQB100430 say it's for a 90 but in the fitment guides they say they fit 110 tanks until 1998.

I'm guessing the fuel will get out of the tank no problem, it's more a matter if the fuel gauge will register correctly or not. Does anyone know if the td5 90 tanks and td5 110 tanks are similar depths? Or even better if someone can suggest where I might find out definitively where I find out if what I have will work or not?

Will
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:34 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm guessing your setup will work fine, it looks just like the setup I just pulled from my 2006 130 tdi.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what exactly the fuel line fittings are that go to this pickup. Mine are leaking and it seems a waste to run new lines for bad o-rings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm guessing your setup will work fine, it looks just like the setup I just pulled from my 2006 130 tdi.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what exactly the fuel line fittings are that go to this pickup. Mine are leaking and it seems a waste to run new lines for bad o-rings.

I never got 100% confirmation that it will work but I'm pretty sure. I'm hoping to have it all hooked up by the fall so fittings will be on the list of things to figure out for me as well.

Since I'm rebuilding my tub as well I've decided to add an access hatch in the floor in case I need to get at the unit after installation.

Old October 1st, 2016, 07:38 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Did you ever confirm this?

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2016 08:41 PM ------

I read on a UK forum that a discovery 300tdi sender will work with a td5 plastic tank and a 300tdi...not confirmed on that forum either unfortunately.
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:42 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Did you ever confirm this?

The gauge is reading off the sender and seems about right, so I think so. Haven't had a full tank in yet as I've got a couple of months before it's on he road again.

Oh and it is getting the fuel out as the truck is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old October 1st, 2016, 07:53 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

TD5 Fuel Tank in 200tdi - Defender Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2016 08:54 PM ------

Quoting :

Two issues, tank mounting and fuel feed (ie. pump). I believe you have a 110 so that avoids the third issue of filler location (Tdi 90s had a side tank).

Mounting the tank shouldn't be that difficult, the Td5 uses a saddle underneath similar to the Tdi setup (which would probably require some fettling where it meets the chassis) and also a strap that goes across the top of the tank from the outside of one chassis rail to the outside of the other. This attaches to brackets which would need to be fabricated and welded onto the chassis each side. Nothing more than a few bits of bent metal and some time with the welder, but it's not a bolt-on mod in that respect.

With regard to the pump, the short answer is no the Td5 pump isn't suitable. Some on here have tried it without success, though that's not to say it's not doable at all. Tdis don't need a pump in the tank, and since Land Rover made ROW-spec 300Tdis from 1998 up to 2006 or so with the Td5 plastic tank (as well as Pumas from 2007 on which don't need an in-tank pump either), there is a bolt-on solution for this. Part number WQB100440 will get you a fuel tank sender unit which also has pipe connections for the fuel pickup and return. It's basically the same as the Td5 pump but without the pump bit! It is costly though, so if you can find a way of using the Td5 pump unit for this purpose, go for it
Old October 1st, 2016, 08:02 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry

I'm not really worried about it now, but just in case I have this in the floor:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old October 1st, 2016, 08:30 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Smart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, fuel, fuel tank