Place your bets, Blown head gasket, or cracked manifold? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Place your bets, Blown head gasket, or cracked manifold?

Started to rain, so I had to give up on it for now. Not to mention, the diagnostic tool I need is at somebody else's house right now.

Symptom is, sounds like an exhaust leak. Replaced all the manifold gaskets and the Y-Pipe gasket on that side, with no results. Turned off the fans, put a string on the end of a stick, and lowered it between the manifold and the block..... very actively bouncing around right in the middle. Problem is, It wiggles so much I can't tell if it's being blown outward (head gasket) or inward (manifold).

Going to stop by Mom's house where some of my tools are still stored, and pick up my compression tester. But won't be able to do anything with it until Monday probably.

It also looks like I may have a slight bit of water in my oil too. Nothing in the sump when I do a change, but I've got the happy-milk looking stuff up around the fill cap. But that may be the result of an old leak up by the intake manifold that I suspect may still be there.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

I would put my money on the exhaust manifold being cracked. I haven't seen a lot of D90s with this problem but tons of D1s had this issue.

Are you having any over heating or driveability issues? If it was the headgasket there would probably be running issues. Did you have any problems installing the manifold gaskets getting the bolts started in the head? I would bet it is the passenger side (bank b) of the engine as well.
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Drivers side, and no problems getting the bolts started. Looks to be associated with one of the two middle cylinders. Though I only did one gasket at a time, since the 3.9's need to use the individual gaskets. Tried the paired ones once, the connector piece interfered with the ARP head studs I was using.

Not too worried if it is the head gasket. I've been wanting to re-do the valley gasket for a while anyways. Will be much easier doing just one side as opposed to last time when I did both sides along with a new cam. Pulling the front cover is such as pain in the ass, have to worry about re-timing the ignition, priming the pump, cracking a bolt for the water pump and having to take it all off again to bring the front cover to a machine shop to get the bolt out and heli-coil the old hole.......

Nope, not too worried about one head gasket at all.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

And this winner is......

Head Gasket!

2nd cylinder on the left side is down about 60psi. And while I was doing the compression test, silly me also forgot to depressurise the fuel system. Eventually the engine flooded, and that let me visually see exactly where the leak is coming from. Working on a parts list now, will order them tomorrow.

-Hans

Old February 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Hahahaha. Good work man. Have fun on the head gasket.
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Finally all done. Cleaned up a few other issues while I was at it. Big annoyance was that first the lower radiator hose ended up being bad.... had to order it and wait. Installed that, and the water pump ended up being no-good either. Had to order THAT and wait.

All done now, I hope.

-Hans

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Did you switch to composite gaskets? Did you resurface the heads?
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Good to hear Hans - hope things are all buttoned-up for you.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Switched to the composite gaskets, not worth it to resurface the heads on a 125k mile engine.
That can wait until I do a full rebuild at some point.

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Switched to the composite gaskets, not worth it to resurface the heads on a 125k mile engine.
That can wait until I do a full rebuild at some point.
Hans did you change to the stretch bolts when you re-assembled? I just did the same job, but resurfaced the heads while I was at it, and used the stretch bolts and composite gasket. The kit I got from AB uses only 10 bolts instead of 14. I took great care in re-assembly, but discovered after a week coolant leaking out between the head and block at the back. With the stretch bolts you can't re-torque, so I'm afraid I have to start over, unless anyone has thoughts on this.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I had originally done both head gaskets a couple years ago, and when I did that I opted to use the ARP head studs. Since these are torqued normally, I re-used them. The stretch-bolt thing I must admit is really annoying for folks that do a lot of engine work.

But are you sure that it's leaking between the head and block? Could also be leaking between the head and intake manifold too. And the manifold bolts should be retorqued after a few heat cycles.

-Hans

Old March 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I had originally done both head gaskets a couple years ago, and when I did that I opted to use the ARP head studs. Since these are torqued normally, I re-used them. The stretch-bolt thing I must admit is really annoying for folks that do a lot of engine work.

But are you sure that it's leaking between the head and block? Could also be leaking between the head and intake manifold too. And the manifold bolts should be retorqued after a few heat cycles.

-Hans
According to LR you don't retorque stretch bolts, as there is no torque setting except the first turn. When you use these bolts, you go to 15 FP wait 20 min, turn them 90degrees, wait 20 min, and turn them another 90degrees.
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Hans thanks for waking me up. Just checked, leaking at the manifold and running down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, gas, rack