Pitman arm to Steering box question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Pitman arm to Steering box question

Anyone run into an issue getting the pitman arm to fully mount onto the steering box shaft? I just put in a new steering box and have the corresponding new pitman arm. I lined up the keyed splines correctly. Was able to get the pitman arm onto the output shaft up to about 80% or within an eighth of an inch to the top. But I still see some spline on the shaft exposed (between the bottom of the steering box and the top of the pitman).

The nut and washer are on now. Everything is super tight. But the pitman is definitely not as flush as it should be (when compared to my previous junk box). I've tried using a punch and mini sledge to get the pitman up farther but to no avail. The splines on both were new and oiled with nothing fouling them.

Should I chalk this up to manufacturer tolerance? I'm almost ready to road test it and cringe at attempting to get the new pitman off given how tight it is on there. Everything turns just fine, lock to lock. I haven't fully bled the system but I know from startup and doing a few wheel turns, the pitman is located in the correct position.

Thoughts, suggestions? Trying to button this up before the rally. The clock is ticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi this is common due to a slight taper on the splines of the new arm.

I would remove it if you can.! and grease the splines with anti size grease if it won't come off drip a little light oil down the splines when you change the oil or do a service.
in the past i have ruined 2 good quality pullers trying to get the arms off the splines.
I now use a 10ton hydraulic puller and it failed last time as i had to cut it off.

I can promise you it will not fall off.

Regards

Gren
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ian_p
Ian Parker
1985 V8 90

Sounds OK to me.
Had the same problem when I swapped my old 90 drop arm for a discovery type unit. I would not hit the arm as you don't want to damage the sector shaft or the PS box. A long breaker bar plenty of elbow grease and a lock washer makes sure everything is in place.

Good Luck, Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thanks fellas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions