Pitman arm alignment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Pitman arm alignment

Just need a quick verification here as the truck is in the shop getting an alignment and they claim my drag link is to long to properly center the steering box.

1. Can the drop arm be aligned wrong (or conversely, removed and re-aligned to give more room for the drag link). I can't recall if it is keyed or not

2. I told them to disconnect the drag link, turn the box full lock right, then come back 2 full turns to find the center of the steering box. Is there any more technical scientific way of doing this?

thanks
charles
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
On the series vehicles I just disconnect the drag link and then trun the wheel lock to lock, counting rotations. once you find center, get the wheels straight and then reconnect. adjust as neccesary. my guess is that the drop arm is not keyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Just need a quick verification here as the truck is in the shop getting an alignment and they claim my drag link is to long to properly center the steering box.

1. Can the drop arm be aligned wrong (or conversely, removed and re-aligned to give more room for the drag link). I can't recall if it is keyed or not

2. I told them to disconnect the drag link, turn the box full lock right, then come back 2 full turns to find the center of the steering box. Is there any more technical scientific way of doing this?

thanks
charles
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Thanks Dave

That of course begs the question - go 2 turns for the centering or find center of lock to lock. I believe center of lock to lock made the drag link even shorter than 2 turns did. Just not sure which point is best. center of lock to lock sounds right to me...

I wasn't expecting the drop arm to need adjusting. They have already charged me extra for their initial attempt to do what they thought was needed (which was way off center). I really just need the alignment done by them, so maybe I'll do the centering myself and avoid additional cost and the wrong thing done.

thanks
charles
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
hey

it should be centered lock to lock, no question about it. once it is all reconnected you should be able to hit the steering stops on both sides, then you are good, and can set toe-in using the tie rod.

are you saying you could not steer lock to lock before?



Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Thanks Dave

That of course begs the question - go 2 turns for the centering or find center of lock to lock. I believe center of lock to lock made the drag link even shorter than 2 turns did. Just not sure which point is best. center of lock to lock sounds right to me...

I wasn't expecting the drop arm to need adjusting. They have already charged me extra for their initial attempt to do what they thought was needed (which was way off center). I really just need the alignment done by them, so maybe I'll do the centering myself and avoid additional cost and the wrong thing done.

thanks
charles
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
No, the issue is that once centered, the drag link is about an inch too long when adjusted in as short as possible. So it seems the drop arm needs to be pulled and moved to allow proper centering.

charles
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
does this help?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Abrooks's Avatar
Abrooks
Status: Offline
Tony Brooks
.
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,926
I would have SWORN that the shaft was keyed, too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Hehe. Well, I told them to go ahead and do it, but I don't think it will be done until tomorrow. Let's hope this doesn't stump them (and cost me extra - I already paid extra the first round ).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
just looking at the link I posted reading the data and noticed that LHD and RHD show different turning circles. What up wit dat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Hehe. Well, I told them to go ahead and do it, but I don't think it will be done until tomorrow. Let's hope this doesn't stump them (and cost me extra - I already paid extra the first round ).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Is this Janey or the 90?
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
The 90 (although I did bend the drag link on Janey a little a few weeks back )
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Bloody hell the drop arm is keyed!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alignment

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitman arm to Steering box question dmarchand Defender Technical Discussions 3 September 5th, 2008 11:53 PM
Pitman Arm 97 D-90 97Ariesblu Wanted 12 May 20th, 2007 09:35 AM
Need new drag link & pitman arm !? Rover- Girl Defender Technical Discussions 4 March 23rd, 2006 06:33 PM
Pitman arm Picture Buckon37s Defender Technical Discussions 7 March 4th, 2006 06:02 PM
little piece that steering damper mounts to near pitman arm evilfij Wanted 4 October 5th, 2004 08:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Copyright