Piston analysis - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
Piston analysis

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?view=a...2c34eb5699aaed

so here is a pixx of my piston.

I previously posted about my engine problems I was having...loss of power, a compression test where all cylinders read 150psi except #3 which read 90psi. I did a leak down test and it was leaking out the intake (right out the air filter). We thought to replace the heads and valves.......

So this past weekend, we tore it apart and here is the pixx of my piston......#3 looks real nasty......how do i go about cleaning it up to see what it really looks like?......some people have told me to use brake cleaner and also to scrape it, being very careful to get all the crap out.

I'm not sure what to do...the heads and valves have cost about $700. I can still return them if I want. Or i can clean it up, and then put on the new upper half and see what happens...but if it does not work i'm back where i started......

any help on what i should do?.....ideally I would like to get it running and last a year or two (passing va inspection, adequate power and able to have fun with)....in a year or two i want to convert it to a diesel (make the big purchase)

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 12:42 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Can't see the pic, I am assuming it looks really black and crusted? I'd need to see it to make sure what you're talking about.

I wouldn't scrape it, it's aluminum and will gouge pretty easy. Don't use brake cleaner, use carburetor cleaner since it's mostly carbon from the fuel and not brake gunk.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Remove the piston & soak in Mineral sprits over night. Srub with a stiff nylon bristle brush. Use carb cleaner for the final cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Soak it in water the original solvent. But mineral spirits is quicker.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
So I able to clean the top of the piston while it was still in the engine.....so at about 1 o'clock there was a nice sized chunk out of the piston....looked like it was down to the ring.

so i dropped the oil pan, and pulled all of the pistons for inspection. as expected #3 had some broken rings......interesting.....the gap in the rings for #3 were almost in alignment right beside the big chunk out the top of the piston.

All of the other pistons do not appear to have issues....i'm gonna soak them in mineral spirits tonight.

Interestingly, all of the cylinders looked good...even #3.....there are a couple of little scratches on the wall sleeve and some carbon buildup near the surface...but that was all.

I think I am going to be able to get 1 new piston and a complete new set of rings and then start the rebuild....

what are everyones thoughts on changing out the camshaft while I am at it...i have not taken the front cover off the engine yet and from what I can see of the camshaft, it appears to have no wear...300 bucks for a new one and more work or leave it for another day?
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ugh, I was afraid you were going to say that, but better to find it now when things are halfway disassembled than 100 miles from home.

Honestly, I think you should do that and a few other things with this new situation popping up. As a general rule, broken pistons usually mean replacing all the bearings. Who knows how much metal made it into the oiling system, and therefore the main and rod bearings.

I suggest not going with a factory cam, if you replace it, for a few reasons. #1 is that they wear out fast, #2 is they are PRICEY PRICEY. Also, a double roller timing chain setup would be a big upgrade from the factory gears.

I highly suggest you give Dan LaGrou at D&D Engines a call, he can make a more specific recommendation on what to do at this point, and stocks a lot of parts for the Buick and Rover engines. He might be able to answer why that piston cracked like that and suggest other things to check for.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions