Pinion preload w/ crush sleeve - process q's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 5th, 2016, 08:44 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Pinion preload w/ crush sleeve - process q's

Hi folks,

Just going about replacing the crush sleeve of my rear Salisbury diff (yuk) and am wondering if I screwed up something.

When crushing a new sleeve, I was going *without* a seal in place as the fit seemed very tight to me, and since reusing bearings, would require a measurement of 8-10 inch pounds of torque to move the nut/flange once torqued properly. That's *nothing*. The gasket itself seemed like it would yield that much resistance as it was very tight when I test fit the flange in the seal off the pinion shaft.

So should I have done A) installed w/o the seal, torqued down to measure 8-10 inch points of resistance on the nut and then reinstalled the seal afterwards or B) installed the seal from the beginning and set to 8-10 inch points of torque.

When I did A, the torque value w/o flange was 10 inch pounds, and once I reinstalled the seal and tightened down to the same mark on the nut (and same rev count), I was measuring 40 inch pounds to spin the flange.

I was using these two bits of info to steer me this way:
Ring and Pinion Gear Setup (Scroll down to the Dana 60) and
(YT vid)

The vid makes me think it was B. Anyone have exierpience on this?
Thoughts? Any differential gurus out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:49 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Of note, this site shows the process that I followed: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/ (Option A)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2016, 11:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

hmm...dana 60 pinion seal shouldn't drastically alter the pinion preload. not by 4x at least.

what part number are you using for the pinion seal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
hmm...dana 60 pinion seal shouldn't drastically alter the pinion preload. not by 4x at least.

what part number are you using for the pinion seal?
AEU2515R

It's the type that's got the metal surround and a rubber (or leather) inside seal. It's the style that came off of the unit, and the upgraded style ones don't fit (diameter of the seal is smaller than my diff housing)
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:38 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTen View Post
AEU2515R

It's the type that's got the metal surround and a rubber (or leather) inside seal. It's the style that came off of the unit, and the upgraded style ones don't fit (diameter of the seal is smaller than my diff housing)
curious! i personally would go with setting the pinion preload without the seal. the purpose of pinion preload is to make sure that the pinion bearings are within a certain spec, trading off between extremes of noise and life.

The existence of the seal is merely to keep lubricant in the differential. I don't know why the dana 60 video you posted shows measuring preload with the seal in. If I had to guess, I would say that the Dana 60 pinion seal is quite different from the Sals pinion seal.
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:51 AM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
curious! i personally would go with setting the pinion preload without the seal. the purpose of pinion preload is to make sure that the pinion bearings are within a certain spec, trading off between extremes of noise and life.

The existence of the seal is merely to keep lubricant in the differential. I don't know why the dana 60 video you posted shows measuring preload with the seal in. If I had to guess, I would say that the Dana 60 pinion seal is quite different from the Sals pinion seal.
This is what I was thinking. I can see a few potential reasons the torque-to-rotate value went up:
1. The rubber lip is *tight* on the seal and
2. The flat metal back of the seal housing *could* be touching/pushing down on the thrust washer affecting torque as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions