pinion bearing destroyed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 12th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST
pinion bearing destroyed

A month or 2 ago I reported my D90 refusing to budge from a stoplight, as if the brakes were engaged. Eventually got the rig moving with strange noises coming from the front axle. Vehicle got towed home. CV joints were okay. Eventually I removed the front differential from the axle and took it to a shop. The cause was a pinion bearing that destroyed itself. See pic. The thing got so hot a roller or two fused together, and you can see the heat damage in the carrier. In the process, bits of the pinion bearing also pitted the other differential bearings. Ended up being a $700 rebuild job.

Not sure how avoidable this wear and tear was. Rig had 160k miles when I bought it and I changed the axle oil. I remember hearing a whining noise from the drivetrain at highway speeds but the rig is so noisy I couldn't tell if it was normal or not.

Thinking of taking off the rear differential and hand spinning it to test it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (40).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	102784  

Old September 12th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Sign of running for a long time low on oil. Not sure why you would rebuild it, as a used one would be cheap and you could have had a trutrac for $700 or an ARB built up for a few hundred more.

*not legal advice*
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:52 AM
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor
I have a drop in 3rd member that I am not using if interested shoot me a pm
Legend in My Own Mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions