Pickup to soft top conversion? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2011, 02:14 PM
PatentShark
Joe H.
None

Pickup to soft top conversion?

Iíve been thinking about buying a 1985 or so D90 pickup for driving around town. While a pickup sounds appealing for keeping warm during the winter, I really would like a soft top with a back seat for summer.

Iím looking for opinions about costs associated with installing a soft top Ė including all parts, hoops, etc. Also looking for opinions about initial install time as well as how much time it generally takes to swap back and forth.

If it looks like it would be a pain or not worth the money, I would probably go back to looking for a NAS S/T. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Im doing it right now, without a roll bar and with US made equipment it will cost you around 1100-1500 buying all new stuff.

IF you goin with imported stuff around the same price but you will have a few more options
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
If I had it to do all over again, I'd seriously consider buying this. BEIS bought it and painted it Beluga Black...sick!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=15353
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2011, 02:43 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/LR-hoo...l#Land%20Rover They will likely be the cheapest and easiest one stop shop.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

Joe - there is a guy in the Chicago Land Rover Club that did this. Sorry I can't remember his name, he's a british guy with an '84 or '85. If you are a member, maybe you know him and can chat him up about it.
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Dont recall ever seeing that for sale. If that were to come up today, I would buy it and sell my 90 in a heartbeat. That thing is sick. Hell, I might sell my 90 anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
If I had it to do all over again, I'd seriously consider buying this. BEIS bought it and painted it Beluga Black...sick!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=15353
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

I've always liked the NAS cage look. Find a A pillar with supports and a B pillar and run a half cab. Looks good and offers more protection than some bent up conduit (hoops). Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST_011-mid.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	38499  
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:21 AM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

To answer your question about taking ST off & putting it back on - 5 minutes if you leave hoopset/gutter kit in place, and 20-30 minutes if you want to remove/install the hoops & gutters. This is for a ROW ST. I think the NAS versions all have the rollcage, no? And btw, when I mentioned the guy in local club, I meant that he had a pickup and converted it to a ST. Not sure if that's what you were meaning.
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
PatentShark
Joe H.
None

The bent up conduit definitely has me thinking twice about trying to do a conversion. NAS cages look a little more trustworthy.
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Sd makes a cage that replaces the hoopset but it would be more work to swap between the pickup cab and the ST.

Switching between the NAS st and a PU top would be about the same amount of work.

Hoopset to PU top swap maybe 1 - 2 hours

NAS or SD cage maybe a full day the first time then a little less each time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, soft top