Picking up a 4.6...refurb notions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Picking up a 4.6...refurb notions?

I have a line on a 4.6. It will likely need a going over and I am soliciting input regarding cams, head porting and valve replacement with oversize. I'll probably run it with a Megasquirt since I have a couple of 'em laying around. No diz.
Has anyone put a turbocharger or two on one of these? Looking for about 300 hp, but not with nitrous.

------ Follow up post added August 17th, 2011 11:13 AM ------

Found this:
http://baileyperformance.co.uk/?p=125

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
where is this going?
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The loob eventually. The 4.2, while still in pretty good shape, did show scoring in number 8 when I had the heads off. I figure to take my time getting this 4.6 built and maybe in a year or so swap it in. Meanwhile I need to get my money's worth out of the new head bolts and gaskets.

Wanna be able to tow at more than 56 mph, the top speed I am ever able to get with the present lump. And hills, forget it.

1968 2A 88

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Probably wont like boost but maybe it'll work? Call Mark at D&D I'm sure he hasa recipe for one it might involve a 300 crank and SBC rods. Keep us posted.
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I dunno the bottom end should be OK if its kept under 10 lbs of boost. I tend toward turbochargers over roots type superchargers for the noise factor and that they seem easier to plumb in than bolting on a roots blower. You can put the intercooler anywhere. I guess that goes for the turbo too. A t3 should do the trick
Be cool to have that under the bonnet.

A fatter cam like that Crower 50230 or 232 cut should do nicely

1968 2A 88

Old August 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

There is going to be more work than you can think of, to make a turbo work with this motor. Any motor with reliability, heat, and lubrication issues is not a good candidate for forced induction. Even keeping boost at 10lbs or below, add a lot of heat, and stress on every component, to any motor not designed, and up graded to be turbocharged. The whole bottom end is going to be reworked, if you want it to last for a reasonable time. A forged cross drilled polished crank for starters, Custom rods would be best, and at a minimum, the stock rods would need to be shot peened, with up graded hardware to hold them together. Stock pistons wont last at all, and will need to address the ring set up for a compressed motor. While the cam choice would be good for a NA motor, a profile for a turbo motor are very different. Stock head gaskets will be replaced a lot faster than normal, and having the block, and head o-ringed would be the only way to go. Then the fuel injection will need remapping will take a lot of work to make sure that everything is balanced with air/fuel mixture, other wise you open yourself up for motor failure. The list goes on, and on, and on. Balancing and blue printing the motor, with the right cam profile, along with increased breathing capability, would improve the performance and drive ability by a sizable margin over stock. Not only would this set up be cheaper, but also will improve reliability as well. The big gain will come from work on intake/exhaust by matching ports on the intake, and exhaust, and then have them extrude honed to smooth the passages, and open them up for increased air flow. This and up sizing the valves can bring you to a whole new level of performance, when done correctly. Then with some tuning of the Mega Squirt, you can then take advantage of the improvements in breathing to find a happy medium for your driving style, and needs. Just my opinion of course.
Greg
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks for typing that. AMEN

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions