Pertronix ignition upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2012, 01:21 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Pertronix ignition upgrade

A few years ago I was having problems with my points and condensor on my '73 Series III so I replaced it with a Pertronix electronic ignition system and have been very happy with the results. I am looking to do the same with my 3.5L V8 on my 110 and have noticed they have a complete distributor with the electronic ignition system already included.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/new/details.aspx?ID=136

I have never replaced a distributor before. My question is if I go with this route (instead of just buying the electronic system to go in my original distributor), will I have to reprime the oil pump? I vaguely remember reading about repriming the oil pump when you take the distributor out. Any pointers will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pertronix.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	52400  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
discodaze
ian tydeman
1969 Rover Hybrid SWB,

Do you have a part number and price for that as well? Thinking about doing the same on a stage one v8
1969 88 hybrid
1967 88 work in progress
1957 Series 1 swb in boxes
Small addiction
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Can't see why you need to reprime the pump, it's just driven off the bottom of the dizzy & your not draining it of oil. Would only need to do that if you'd had it out for a service/repair, then it'd be dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks! Now to do this and not mess up the timing

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So can anyone point me in the right direction to correctly change out the distributor and not mess up my timing? I am researching the net but have not come up with a step-by-step walkthrough for the Rover 3.5 V8. I know it's out there somewhere. I can't imagine it being that hard but "measure twice, cut once" I keep telling myself with this restoration. Thanks again in advance!

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:57 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Hey Forrest,

If you donít have the workshop manual for the early trucks, itís worth picking up.

http://www.amazon.com/Rover-Defend-O...orkshop+manual

It has instructions for changing out the distributor, as well as tune up information. I can post the steps as listed in the manual if you donít have it.

Anyway, it looks like I might be going this route as well. The original points ignition 35D8 distributor on my í83 110 went tits up the other week. One of the advance weights worked itself loose, and promptly chewed up the inside of the distributor. Iím pretty sure itís toast. The particular distributor for my engine code is just about impossible to find, and the couple places that supposedly have it available list it for about $1100. That ainít happening.

So, Iím looking at this Pertronix unit as well. However, looking through the parts manual, between í83 and í86 there were no less than nine different distributors with five different vacuum units, each for a different engine code. Some of these are for points ignition, others are electronic ignition.

So, this raises a few questions:

1. Is this Pertronix D175510 distributor compatible with all early 3.5 engines? Itís my understanding that there are so many different distributors because they have different advance curves depending on the carb and vacuum setup for the different engine codes. Does this Partronix magically fit all of them and work correctly?

2. Does the stock Lucas coil and ballast resistor work with this setup? Some quick internet research seems to show that a points ignition coil should not be used with electronic ignition, and vise versa. Although it seems a lot of Series owners continue to use the points coil when they switch to Pertronix units in the four cylinder engine. Iím confused?

3. The vacuum unit currently on the truck is setup for use with two vacuum hoses. The newer distributors and this Pertronix unit are setup for only one. Will the current vacuum unit swap into the Pertronix, or do I need to do something funky with my vacuum lines?

Inquiring minds want to knowÖ

Cheers,

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions