Perentie imported - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2015, 04:36 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Talking to an Australian co about a potential joint venture.
Stay tuned.
Very nice Doug! Let us know what, if anything, comes of it..

On a side note, if any California resident were to bring in a 6x6 you would be golden on getting the truck through the CARB hoops since the 4BD1T has been CARB certified for on road use in a Light Heavy Duty application, which the GVW of the 6x6 falls within..

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/...07_6d0-0d6.pdf

Also, this link on REMLR shows the numbers of each style of Perentie that were made.

http://www.remlr.com/perentie-info.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 05:28 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Dam, stock/stock-ish 6x6? Except for some extremely overpriced MB's, try getting 6x6 on anything else. I asked about converting my Dodge Cummins to a 6x6, & the answer back from the one shop that I asked was $50K. There's a 6x6 dodge in the latest Four Wheeler that says that particular conversion bill was $150K. Most of those would be reconstructed from something like this: 1983 GMC BRIGADIER 7500 6X6 , so wheel & frame sizes are off the charts!
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
There's a 6x6 dodge in the latest Four Wheeler that says that particular conversion bill was $150K. !
I just saw this issue---that truck is a wild 6x6.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Jake
Ross Petersen
2015 Defender 90

Hey guys

As I have commented previously for more info look at Australian Frontline Machinery

regards
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
This is the model I want
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271904896229679288/

only 26 of them made
Of course you do... extra 5" head room?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Hey guys

As I have commented previously for more info look at Australian Frontline Machinery

regards
Yes we have watched the auctions even registered as bidders but foreign bids were blocked.
There has also been the military export license issue. These are the issues we are working through in advance of the next Minto auction.

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2015 10:23 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Of course you do... extra 5" head room?

and the nice leg room extension @ the B pillar. Additionally the cabs for the 6x6 are wider as well.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 17th, 2015, 10:29 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
and the nice leg room extension @ the B pillar. Additionally the cabs for the 6x6 are wider as well.
This is what I liked as well.
And we put one of those motors in a 110, well actually David Gage (Thatched Roof Garage) did a couple, and one was for me, and it was a near perfect setup! Of course that was many years ago and they were much more readily available then- the engines.

Old July 17th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
This is what I liked as well.
And we put one of those motors in a 110, well actually David Gage (Thatched Roof Garage) did a couple, and one was for me, and it was a near perfect setup! Of course that was many years ago and they were much more readily available then- the engines.
That engine is EPA approved here. The aussies have a better turbo for it as well. The guys I'm talking to fit power steering and have the better turbo's available as well. I may end up stocking those parts.
Because its wider the 6x6 has a different dash design altogether. Its made of Fiber glass so should be very easy to customize.
A brief glimpse of dash here

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 20th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The fellow in the UK has dropped his price to 8500gbp Land Rover Defender Perentie - Direct Defence - Superb Condition | eBay

$13,300 =crazy low price for these trucks

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 20th, 2015, 02:53 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
The fellow in the UK has dropped his price to 8500gbp Land Rover Defender Perentie - Direct Defence - Superb Condition | eBay

$13,300 =crazy low price for these trucks
Or 10k GBP on the road in the UK. Not sure if that makes it easier for export?

I've run out of time this trip. I may end up with one in October if they are still around when I come back.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old July 20th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Or 10k GBP on the road in the UK. Not sure if that makes it easier for export?

I've run out of time this trip. I may end up with one in October if they are still around when I come back.
Nope just need them to have a V5. No need to get them through an mot.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:22 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It looks like Matt @ KLR and I are going to form a partnership. We spent over an hour on the phone last night, and we are going to bring some in on the East coast. The truck on ebay in Arizona is one of his that he's sent over as a test case. That truck has no turbo or power steering. He says the perenties run out of steam quickly due to the 4.75 axle gearing. Installing 3.54's makes them fly. Many buy trucks @ auction and stop by his shop to try out his demo truck with the turbo, power steering, and turned up pump, and different gearing. He says many don't even drive it off the lot, they just ask when they can drop their trucks off for the mods. Its that big of a difference. He's getting 120bhp @ the wheels, double the stock 3.9 output. Plan is for me to stock those parts stateside but also offer lhd conversions.

The Australian army spent a fortune on these trucks. Over $100k ea for the GS trucks, more for the FFR's and the 6x6's (6bee's in Aussie speak) were over $200k ea. These trucks have the typical defender chassis woes designed out of them. He says a large part of his business is taking a base perentie 110 and putting a rover v8, tdi or td5 5 door SW body onto the perentie chassis, this because only 22 5 door wagons were built for the army. Thats what his personal truck is. With the turbo 3.9 turned up he says its a very easy driving truck with bags of torque as opposed to the flogging one has to do to a rover v8, tdi, or td5, or tdci to get similar performance. The trucks also get very good economy which is important there were stations can be days apart.

The more I wade into this the more I feel like these are the ultimate defenders. Unfortunately the truck I want, the 6x6 crew cab monsters are mostly late spec 1997 model year. He's graciously agreed to let me keep one with him for 6 years :} until it can come here.

The aussies are also becoming aware and he says the auction prices have pushed up with ea successive auction. The isuzu's incredible reliability has the Nissan Patrol and Land Cruiser fans in Australia now buying these @ the Frontline auctions so as he said, the cat is out of the bag.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:47 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
It looks like Matt @ KLR and I are going to form a partnership. We spent over an hour on the phone last night, and we are going to bring some in on the East coast. The truck on ebay in Arizona is one of his that he's sent over as a test case. That truck has no turbo or power steering. He says the perenties run out of steam quickly due to the 4.75 axle gearing. Installing 3.54's makes them fly. He says many buy trucks @ auction and stop by his shop to try out his demo truck with the turbo, power steering, and turned up pump, and different gearing. He says many don't even drive it off the lot, they just ask when they can drop their trucks off for the mods. Its that big of a difference. He's getting 120bhp @ the wheels, double the stock 3.9 output. Plan is for me to stock those parts stateside but also offer lhd conversions.

The Australian army spent a fortune on these trucks. Over $100k ea for the GS trucks, more for the FFR's and the 6x6's (6bee's in Aussie speak) were over $200k ea. These trucks have the typical defender chassis woes designed out of them. He says a large part of his business is taking a base perentie 110 and putting a rover v8, tdi or td5 5 door SW body onto the perentie chassis, this because only 22 5 door wagons were built for the army. Thats what his personal truck is. With the turbo 3.9 turned up he says its a very easy driving truck with bags of torque as opposed to the flogging one has to do to a rover v8, tdi, or td5, or tdci to get similar performance.

The more I wade into this the more I feel like these are the ultimate defenders. Unfortunately the truck I want, the 6x6 crew cab monsters are mostly late spec 1997 model year. He's graciously agreed to let me keep one with him for 6 years :} until it can come here.

The aussies are also becoming aware and he says the auction prices have pushed up with ea successive auction. The isuzu's incredible reliability has the Nissan Patrol and Land Cruiser fans in Australia now buying these @ the Frontline auctions so as he said, the cat is out of the bag.
Yeah - wait until the Aussies start seeing the prices yanks are willing to pay - same thing happened with the Nissans and Toyota diesels in Aust that can be legally imported now...Aussies woke up to that and the prices for importable ones are more than others....same as the Poms with Defenders

Bloody American guvmint!
Old January 29th, 2017, 03:03 AM
Primetime
John
1991 Land Rover 110 4x4 Perentie

Importing a 1991 FFR

[QUOTE=Uncle Douglas;657823]It looks like Matt @ KLR and I are going to form a partnership. ]

G'day Gents,

I'm a US service member on exchange with the Australian Defence Force. I'll be PCSing home in April and I HAVE to bring a Perentie with me. I've got a deposit on a gorgeous FFR but I'm a little nervous about import restrictions. I've contacted the EPA and I'm aware of the 21 yr exclusion as well as the 25 yr DOT exclusion, but I'd feel a lot better if I could talk to someone with experience importing one.

If anyone has contact information for Matt at KLR please send it my way. If you have any other helpful info ( or if you are the guy who got one through Newark, PLEASE contact me as soon as you read this). I have to buy it and get the military the docs they need to start the import process ASAP.

My decision point for the deposit runs out at noon on Wednesday Australian Central Daylight Time (so that's 8:30 pm on Tuesday, 31 April.

Thank you all for your time.

Respectfully,
John
Old January 29th, 2017, 08:28 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.klrautomotive.com.au/
Old January 29th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
John you need to get ahold of Uncle Douglas here on the forum. It's what he does and he is very good at it. He did the import work on my truck and it was a worry free experience. Doug Crowther at Dividing Creek Imports.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Primetime
John
1991 Land Rover 110 4x4 Perentie

Thanks!

Thanks for the information and the quick reply fellas. Much appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import