Peeled Paint on ST doors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
97/D90 ST: Sold
Peeled Paint on ST doors

I pulled my ST windows to install a set of SS window studs and pulled some paint off the top edge of my doors. Since the doors are aluminum, I am assuming there is no risk of rust or corrosion forming on the bare metal spots, right? Seems to only be a cosmetic defect, which gets covered up when I replace the windows.

Would you recommend that I treat or paint over these bare spots?

Also, I read that it is recommended that you apply silicone spray between the window seal and the door top to prevent this type of thing from happening. Is WD40 considered silicone spray? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	26027  

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Don Lang
the door capping is steal and is galvanized... incorrect primer an the galv!!!!

85 exmod 110 rhd 300tdi
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST
mine di the same thing years ago. I put a strip of felt weather strip down it feels much better than hot metal on my arm when I have the doors tops off in the summer.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
Get some matching paint from Tower Paint, sand, prime, and repaint. The cappings are just held on by a few rivets.
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Beluga '97 90
When my truck was still under warranty, LR redid my cappings 3 times because of the same issue. Water gets under those seals and causes corrosion to the cappings. The Rubber seal also tends to pull the paint off.

My ghetto fix to prevent this from happening again if I ever put my windows back on was to put a layer of electrical tape between the seal and the capping. It worked really well to keep this from happening again even though it was super ghetto. Also, anytime water got on the windows, I removed my quicknuts and let any water drain out. I guarantee most people who haven't ever taken their windows off have this issue and don't know it.

Funny thing is, I still have that tape on the top of the doors even though I haven't had my windows on the car in almost 10 years...yes, I'm lazy.
Originally Posted by rijosho
-I need to figure out a cooler-looking way of getting into the driver's seat

Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"
my world is coming crashing down... Brian... with a ghetto fix...
"well... we're not building a piano"
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
The door capping is steel and is _not_ galvanized from the factory - you need to repaint that. How you do it is up to you, but Wolf Fab's solution is the best short of taking them to the body shop. When I ran ST doors I used a layer of pond liner in between the rubber and the paint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

door, paint