Patching interior body holes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Patching interior body holes

My 1985 exMod 110 soft top pours diesel fumes into the cab. I am going to have the exhaust looked at for leaks but in the meantime I noticed that duct tape over some large holes under the passenger seat made a huge difference.

What is the best way to cover these holes? Keep in mind there are several dozen of all different sizes. All are drilled but some are as large as a half dollar. The duct tape falls right off and I am not spending the time to get someone to weld or patch with metal. I'm looking for advice on covering the holes easily. This is a great summer vehicle but it is by no means a show car so I'm not terribly concerned with the look of the patches. I would want it to be removable in case I ever do any restore work. I would hate for these patches to make for a significantly harder time later.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Grommets

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:41 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
For a permanent fix, try the Devcon epoxy...This stuff is bullet proof, and they make one for aluminum and steel. Great stuff! Just be sure to work it really smooth if you use it, or else you'll be sanding it smooth forever since it's super hard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2014, 07:03 AM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

How would a grommet work to close the hole? Doesn't a grommet go around a holes edges to "finish" the hole?

Would the Devcon epoxy cover a larger hole? I would think it would need a backing of some sort no?
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Another thought would be Dynamat...
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I mean grab some jb weld and some sheet metal; if you're not concerned with appearance
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Another thought would be Dynamat...
This. A small bit stuck up to the underside and bob's your uncle. If someone far in the future wants to repair the hole it's easy enough to remove.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body, interior