passenger cat glows cherry red??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

passenger cat glows cherry red???

The cat convertor on the passenger side of my 95 defender gets so hot it turns cherry red! I thought the cats needed replacing as my truck has 110,000 miles. I had the cats replaced and new oxygen sensors installed, but this did not solve my problem. still getting too hot. can anyone suggest what to do????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Sounds like there is raw fuel going into the cat causing it to get that hot. The catalyst creates heat by reburning the leftovers from combustion. In this case there is a lot to be burned off. How is the vehicle running??? If there are no obvious drivability issues and no check engine lights you might have a really leaky injector or something like that. The only time Ive seen this there have been some real serious drivability issues tho. Hope this helps. Your O2 on that bank should have a fault for too rich anyhow.
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:32 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

Thank you for your input, It is running rough at idle, once under way it drives fine. If left at idle the check engine light does come on, The code I believe is 48, the stepper motor. If I clear the code the check engine light stays off, unless the truck runs at idle for a few minutes. I just changed the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs prior to me discovering the overheating cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

If it were a sensor before pre combustion it would probably over heat both cats. It might be the O2 sensor for that bank causing a false reading for the ecu as well. Not sure. Your code box shows 48 do you now the process to find out the other codes in the computer. I have it but not on me now. Ill get it tomorrow for you so you can see if there are other faults in the system.
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thomas, do you recall what the problem was here? I'm seeing very similar behavior.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Scully View Post
Your code box shows 48 do you now the process to find out the other codes in the computer. I have it but not on me now. Ill get it tomorrow for you so you can see if there are other faults in the system.

Here you go.

http://pangaea-expeditions.com/resou...des/index.html
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttegt View Post
The cat convertor on the passenger side of my 95 defender gets so hot it turns cherry red!
Still interested in hearing what the problem turned out to be.

thanks,
charles
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
C first guess is that there is some kind of restriction on the hot side. The cats do get really hot (thus the heat shielding) in order to do their job, but shouldn't be glowing. If the flow is restricted the exhaust wouldn't be able to flow well enough to keep the converter at optimum temp. As they age the ceramic inside can fall apart. No clue otherwise. Engine wouldn't run hotter on one side than another. Thermodynamically unlikely.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I am not sure if the driver's side is getting hot too - I happened to have the passenger side floor board out at the time which is why I noticed. Scared the hell out of me so I'm hesitant to go drive it again to the point where it's hot then stop and look underneath (and floorboard is back in).

Other than the obvious problem of it getting so hot it's going to damage itself, or things near by it, are there other reasons not to drive it like this? Since the truck has been sitting I was hoping putting a few miles on it would help.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I am not sure if the driver's side is getting hot too - I happened to have the passenger side floor board out at the time which is why I noticed. Scared the hell out of me so I'm hesitant to go drive it again to the point where it's hot then stop and look underneath (and floorboard is back in).

Other than the obvious problem of it getting so hot it's going to damage itself, or things near by it, are there other reasons not to drive it like this? Since the truck has been sitting I was hoping putting a few miles on it would help.
Charles, Don't drive the truck again. If this keeps up, you'll end up melting the cats and there will be no exhaust flow. The engine will not work.

The cats are "glowing" because, as stated above, there is excessive hydrocarbons (fuel) in the exhaust.

The most common reason would be a bad spark plug(s) or bad wire(s).

EDIT: If you are running rich, the plugs get black.
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
You mean with the cat glowing or with the floorboard out?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
cat glowing. floorboards are optional.
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just drop it off at my place. I will figure it out.

Most likely is a bad plug or wire or a leaking injector if you are not getting codes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions