parts vulnerable to cold - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
parts vulnerable to cold

are there any particular parts vulnerable to the cold? i ask because my truck has been outside in cold temps 1 degrees etc and started fine. well last night it was outside and it got negative 9 degress. went to start, it turns over, can hear the fuel pump kick on, but no dice. i have never had any problems before. i have had the cold knock out batteries before, but with it being so cold last night, and all of a sudden no start, i was thinking the cold temps might have killed something. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

One snowy morning in Tok, Alaska when the temp was -20F my D-90 had the same problem. I took the battery inside with me for breakfast, and once it was warmed up, the temp had risen to a balmy -15F... it started fine. Not sure if it was the warm battery or the small increase in OAT. I tend to think it was the battery- same rule of thumb goes for aircraft batteries- if the OAT gets too low, take out the battery.

Regards,
Jay
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:39 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Once you drop down into negative digits, pretty much anything mechanical has a hard time operating. I highly doubt anything is broken. It's just freakin' cold and your battery and engine aren't happy about it.

Nighttime temps of 0 to -20 are typical here through January and February, and my truck always starts. Now, it doesn't necessarily start quickly, but it goes. I have dual batteries and a coolant heater installed which helps the situation. Usually when it reaches around -20 the truck will crank and crank and crank, but won't turn over. Simply turning off the ignition, waiting a few seconds, and then trying again results in the engine firing right up.

From reading your post, it sounds like your battery has enough juice to run the fuel pump and crank the engine, but just won't fire up? Is this correct?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Correct. I hit the key & it just cranks & cranks w/ no firing. I thought maybe the cold could have cracked the cap maybe or can a relay get stuck if it is super cold out? Hood release is frozen so cant check spark.

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2011 07:52 AM ------

I also noticed the ignition switch was stiff & acting funny. Where all does it send power to? Could it simply not be sending power somewhere? Someti es when it turned the key it would not do anything, nothing. Then i would turn it back off then on & it would crank
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I'm with Jay and thinking battery... The ignition switches do fail -although I'm not sure if when mine went out it was b/c of cold temps- but it sounds like yours is working properly: fuel pump runs and it turns over. When you turn the key does the ignition switch still have its spring (ie. does it spring back into appropriate position)?

Warm up the battery and see if that helps.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
the battery works great. i am thinking it is the ignition switch, because intermittantly when i turn the key over, nothing happens. no relay click and no start, no lights nothing. so i am thinking if the switch got really cold and broke or cracked, then maybe as i turn the key the switch may not be hitting positions 1 or 2 and so things dont fire up in the correct order. there was a thread in which a guys switch went bad in extreme heat. now, before the cold hit, i did have a few times when i turn the key over and nothing happened. i turned it back to postion 1 and back to 3 and it fired up. so we will see. it is going to warm back up tomorrow, (27 degress from 5) and i ordered a new switch just in case.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I drive my D90 regularly in the cold. In the last few weeks, we have had about -10C to -20C, occasionally colder. My truck starts fine at -35 (celcius), which is about the same in F. I just start moving slowly to let the parts warm up... However I dress warmly, very warmly.
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:10 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
I drive my D90 regularly in the cold. In the last few weeks, we have had about -10C to -20C, occasionally colder. My truck starts fine at -35 (celcius), which is about the same in F. I just start moving slowly to let the parts warm up... However I dress warmly, very warmly.
Yes warmly!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Fixed! Faulty ignition switch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part, parts