Parts drawings and custom modification thread - Let's share. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Parts drawings and custom modification thread - Let's share.

I though there might be interest in creating a thread for sharing (not-for-profit) parts drawings and custom modifications, beyond what already exists in the main topics (at the top of this site). I'm planning on making some stuff for myself and I don't mind sharing my work. I don't plan to sell it because I don't have the time. I'm also curious what other improvements some have made to their Defenders. Seems like a lot of you guys are sitting on good ideas out there.

Here's what I am working on. I wanted to try out Solidworks nifty sheet metal features so I built a driver and passenger toe box assembly in 3D. The software allows me to build it the way it would be installed but the pattern can be flattened out at the push of a button and I can send the flat part to the machinist. The rubber toe box I have sucks so I thought I'd have one built out of sheet metal. I want one that doesn't sag, can take abuse and that is easy to clean. The one I plan to make (pictured) consists of two parts. The side part slides in first. There would be holes on the side for the door grommet (speaker wires, etc) and once that part is in, the main parts goes in and locks the other one in place. I have done a first round cardboard mock ups and I am now adjusting the 3D based on some changes I need to make after the first fitting. I am doing all my measurements based on a layer of Dynamat underneath.

The other part I plan to make is a trim piece that would cover the edge of the seat box. The seat belt attachment would have to be removed to install this. This is the part in the 2nd picture. This would have to be thin enough that it doesn't interfere with the door seal but sturdy enough that you can stand on it.

Constructive criticism is highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	footwell_trim_driver.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	22076   Click image for larger version

Name:	door_sill_trim_driver.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	22077  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2009, 09:59 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Carl-- Your images are very well done. I looked at Solidworks website and its a bit beyond my skill. I thought about using Google SkethUp, but it doesn't flatten the objects for a fabricator.

I have a simple design for a laptop bracket for a D90, if I sketched it in detail with pencil, paper, and ruler, scanned it and emailed it, could you turn it into a mod drawing as you've done here? Perhaps the 2D flattened fabrication as well? I would share with everyone on the board as well. It's really a pretty simple shape.

Let me know and thanks. Christopher
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No problem. Send it to me and I'll take a look at it. If it's simple it should be pretty quick but I can't guarantee turnaround time because my weekends are pretty booked.

Solidworks is not the type of software you buy or learn just for fun. I use it for work. Google Sketchup is meant for architecture and interiors but you can use it to build parts as well. There is a way to dimension everything as you build it and it comes with a separate drafting program called LayOut. Best of all, its free. You can't beat that. There is plenty of online tutorials for those who are interested in learning it. Its a good way to get started if you've never used 3D/CAD before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod, part, parts, wing