Parking/Taillight Upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Parking/Taillight Upgrade

I currenty own a 1987 imported RHD D-90. I am looking to upgrade my Front and Rear Taillights (all of them and the reverse.)

Is there are harness converstion for the pictures below? I currently have a two wire system on all my lights. The bulbs in the photos show three wire prongs.

Also, Is their a difference in the locations for a Imported D90 vs. NAS. Looking at pictures on google images it looks like the current production 2011 Defenders still have lights in the top left and right corners (on the rear of the trucks.)

Does this really matter?
Please post pictures if you have them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail light.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	45050   Click image for larger version

Name:	taillight 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	45051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	taillight 3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	45052   Click image for larger version

Name:	taillight 4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	45053  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

All the current UK/Euro/RoW defenders have the tail lights as per the RH picture.... Brake/tail at the top and turn signal at the bottom.

Late Td5's and pumas have round NAS spec lights for reverse and fog (in the same position as the RH picture)

Brake/tail lights are 3 wire (earth, tail & brake), turn signal/fog/reverse are just 2 wire.

The military Wolf XD rovers have a slightly different set of lights:

Old December 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Yes you can upgrade to these but you will need to cut the current holes, that your lights are in, and make them a little larger to accept the newer style lights. If you do upgrade you will have to get the plinths also, the black thing that holds the light. You may also have to get the newer style plug to fit the lights. For the rear you would need 4 two prong and 2 three prong. (if you are changing all six lights) I switched over to these on the DC rebuild and got everything from Safari Heritage Parts.
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Thanks! I will give steve a call. Do you have any pictures of your finished product?
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

If you go with LED lights (like ECR) you do not have to enlarge the hole on a ROW If you want to put them in the stock ROW location.

You can also get adapters that go from your factory wiring to the new style from autosparks in the UK so it will be plug and play
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
The previous owners have completely chopped up the wiring on all of my lights. So as far as plug and play, I'm screwed.
The truck is getting repainted, So moving the light locations isn't a problem. I'm just wondering what the going trend for tail lights is....
Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht