Parking light woes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Parking light woes

Ok before I tear my hair out and or ship my truck to my "electrical" guy. My truck is a 1984 RHD and the only parking light that will work is the LH front.

I have tried new switches high/low directional and on off headlight and that didn't change a thing. If I run a wire from the battery to the LH rear light I can make the 3 lights work that do not work any other time. Also doing this does NOT make the LH front one come on that one will only work with the switch.

I have a appointment with an ex Fiat electricial mechanic for Friday but I would rather fix it before that.

Any idea's as to what the problem could be?

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Start @ the fuse box. If there is power to both sides of the two park lamp fuses then move to the plug on the bulkhead in the engine compartment where the rear wiring harness plugs into the main harness. Two of those pins should have juice when the lights are on. Your truck is a bit different in that its been rebuilt on a galvy chassis and the wiring loom for the rear is run down the top of the frame instead of through it. There might be a spot where the wires have been pinched ? At least its accessable.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
bad ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
Ok before I tear my hair out and or ship my truck to my "electrical" guy. My truck is a 1984 RHD and the only parking light that will work is the LH front.

I have tried new switches high/low directional and on off headlight and that didn't change a thing. If I run a wire from the battery to the LH rear light I can make the 3 lights work that do not work any other time. Also doing this does NOT make the LH front one come on that one will only work with the switch.

I have a appointment with an ex Fiat electricial mechanic for Friday but I would rather fix it before that.

Any idea's as to what the problem could be?

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
If it was a ground issue would my hotwire from the battery of worked? Yes 12V Electrical is NOT my strong point.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Have you tried swapping those damned bullet fuses out with fresh ones?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Have you tried swapping those damned bullet fuses out with fresh ones?
put dielectric grease on the new ones before snapping them in as well

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
If it was a ground issue would my hotwire from the battery of worked? Yes 12V Electrical is NOT my strong point.

Eric
Possibly with the higher amerage of the direct wire from the battery

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 24th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, it sounds like the three lights get their power from the same place, but the other one is getting it from somewhere else (the switch). Have they ever worked as long as you have had the vehicle? I would try tracing the wires from the lights that are not working, I'll bet they share a common point of failure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht