Parking brake problem, handle popping back UP. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Parking brake problem, handle popping back UP.

Why can't I have the NORMAL problems with this truck?

Having an oddball issue with the parking brake the past week or so, and it appears to be related to the cable somehow. Symptoms are that when I try to disengage the parking brake, it wants to pop back UP about 2-3 clicks on its own. When it does this, you can hear that it's slightly scraping the brake shoes inside the drum. After tearing the whole brake drum apart, I can't say for sure I know where the problem is coming from.

After I took the boot off of the handing, it appears it's trying to push the cable back down when I disengage the brake, but it doesn't want to go that way on its own. This causes it to bend around in a loop right at the base of the handle. It's trying to spring back up when the cable is straightening itself again. The cable isn't seized at all, if I guide it with my fingers it will go the way it's supposed to and it moves freely.

Now, are the springs inside the drum supposed to be pulling the cable taught again? While I have it all apart, I'm going to give the whole expander assembly a good cleaning and re-lubrication. There isn't anything that I can find to be broken or out of place under the drum at all. Not sure what else to look for though

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

When I first bought mine, it was leaking there for some time from neglect. My brake was doing something similar as well as not gripping at all. I replaced the seal and shoes, springs, everything. Havent had any trouble any more. I kinda want the disc conversion though. Seems a bit pricy, but zero movement of the truck when engaged would be cool.
And I love you too
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, not seeing anything obviously wrong, I just scrubbed it all down, greased it all up, and put it back together. Working fine now, and some odd clicking noise that had been driving me nuts for a year and a half is also gone.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

good deal man.
And I love you too
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
When I first bought mine, it was leaking there for some time from neglect. My brake was doing something similar as well as not gripping at all. I replaced the seal and shoes, springs, everything. Havent had any trouble any more. I kinda want the disc conversion though. Seems a bit pricy, but zero movement of the truck when engaged would be cool.
You mean one of those Xbrake disc brakes?
They're cool
http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Brake.asp?MID=31
and very well engineered
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

yep, thats the one. It just seems about twice as much as it should be.
And I love you too
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:04 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
yep, thats the one. It just seems about twice as much as it should be.
You get what you pay for in this world.
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I always wondered why nobody offered a conversion to a more practical set of rear calipers, to make it a functional emergency brake as well as just a parking brake. There's got to be SOME set of rear calipers that bolt in there which have a parking brake feature built in.

-Hans

Old January 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I had a problem similar to Hans' last night.

After sitting for a month, the parking brake would not release. Pushing down on the handle it feels like cable is binding; and the handle wants to creep back up on its own. I climbed underneath and backed off the park brake adjustment bolt so I could move the truck, but the binding cable problem remains.

What is the general consensus? Take everything apart and clean/lubricate, and/or is there hardware in the brake drum assembly that should be replaced as a periodic service/maintenance item?
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Pull the driveshaft and drum and lube everything. Throw away the big retaining screw on the drum. Rebuilding is never a bad idea. I'm thinking it a ten year thing on mine as well as the seal back there that leaks all over everything.
And I love you too
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
I had a problem similar to Hans' last night.

After sitting for a month, the parking brake would not release. Pushing down on the handle it feels like cable is binding; and the handle wants to creep back up on its own. I climbed underneath and backed off the park brake adjustment bolt so I could move the truck, but the binding cable problem remains.

What is the general consensus? Take everything apart and clean/lubricate, and/or is there hardware in the brake drum assembly that should be replaced as a periodic service/maintenance item?
Once I got in there, it's a very simple mechanism and not much to actually break or wear out. A good clean and re-grease should be all it needs. The expander, from what I can tell, is the problem area that needs the most attention as far as cleaning goes. The parts all pop out nice and easy, and an old toothbrush can get into the whole bore of it.

If that doesn't solve it, the cable and external linkage are the only other moving parts to worry about.

-Hans

Old January 9th, 2010, 04:04 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I always found it was the expander that gave trouble on the old style cable and rod system.
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I pulled park brake apart, cleaned, lubed and put back together. My cable binding problem remains. Cable does not fully retract back in to sheath. Cable insulation has worn by the heat shield where it passes over exhaust. Looks like it has gotten hot and I think that is what is causing cable to bind slightly.

What kind of a chore is it to replace cable? Looks straightforward...
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
If you've pulled the brake apart the cable replacement is no big deal.
A pin secured with a split pin holds the cable to the hand brake lever in the cab
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL you would think that, but I couldn't get the pin out of there. Rusted in solid. I can always cut out the cross-pin if needed, but it require it this time.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, brake