Parking brake circuit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Scott Kozicki
97 NAS D90 SW
Parking brake circuit

Does anyone have a schematic for the parking brake idiot light? Mine flickers and sometimes sticks on. I checked the switch on the hand crank and even if fully depressed (as to show it as being OFF) it still shines on. I haven't gotten into cracking open the drum to check it out, and it doesn't drive like it's on, but wanted to check the electrics first, since that seems to be the problem, rather than the drum itself. There's only one wire running out of the sensor on the hand crank, so I'm assuming that if it's grounded, that means the circuit is open.

Old November 29th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD
On a 95, this light is also tied into to your brake fluid resevoir level. Make sure it's topped off. When you remove the cap, you'll also notice the sensor tied to the cap, 2 wires coming from it IIRC. These wires will be positioned 90 degrees from centerline of your truck. If the topping off doesn't solve your problem, then loosen the cap and rotate the sensor to where it's 45 or 135 degrees from centerline and re-tighten while holding the sensor in this position.

The procedure for setting the transmission brake is in your owners manual, if you haven't already gone through that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions