Paperless Title? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Paperless Title?

Maybe someone can help me out here.
I recently won a D90 on ebay from a person out in Santa Monica California (I reside in NY)
After speaking with him, he mentioned he couldn't find the title to the defender and that California DMV
can do a "Transfer of Title with Paperless Title" He sent me a link to a form to do this. It's a document
where original owner fills out document, gets it notarized and forwards to buyer who fills out their info,
which then gets submitted to CA DMV for processing.

My question is, has anyone done this? I'm thinking that it is a difficult transaction for someone who
is going to register and get new title in New York.

I went on NY DMV website and the acceptable documentation from a vehicle purchased from a private owner
outside New York State is 1) the original out of state title or transferrable registration showing transfer and
2) the original bill of sale.

Well, I'm kind of hesitant to proceed further without knowing if this paperless title transfer procedure can work
from California to New York.

I don't want to be SOL when I walk into NY DMV without having title in hand. What do you guys think?
I know alot of the governmental agencies are trying to to go "environmentally friendly", but I think this can
lead to many problems on my end of the deal.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have on this matter.

Gery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Danger will robinson. He could have a lien on it or he could not even own it or it could be salvage or a myriad of other issues.

While there are paperless titles in some states, tell him you want the title to it or no money comes his way. Make HIM get the title from California. Frankly, I would just walk away and leave negative feedback on ebay. Selling a car without a title is extremely sketchy.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Danger will robinson. He could have a lien on it or he could not even own it or it could be salvage or a myriad of other issues.

While there are paperless titles in some states, tell him you want the title to it or no money comes his way. Make HIM get the title from California. Frankly, I would just walk away and leave negative feedback on ebay. Selling a car without a title is extremely sketchy.
He's going to the DMV today. I'll see how he responds to my concerns regarding wanting an actual title.
I think I will insist on having an title, or no deal. I guess I'd be willing to wait for him to go throught the process of getting a replacement title. I'm trying to be as careful as possible.

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its called a "perfected title" and it results from either a bank posessing an actual title or the owner paying the loan in full. Without a perfected title, tell that guy he can take a flying f^%. Then leave negative feedback. Whatever dude. "I can't find the title" is the most f&^% up story in the book. Tell that jackass to get his docs in order before making a sale. What an asshole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
exactly.

Old May 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I called CA DMV directly and actually spoke to a representative there. I gave the vin number and was able to verify he was the owner of the defender. From speaking with the rep, I determined the best way to go about it is to have the guy get a new duplicate title. The rep said it may take 3 to 4 weeks. The question is, do I want to wait that long
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
How were you planning on getting the Defender from CA to NY? If it wasn't that great of a deal and you don't want to wait that long, pass on it and find someone who has their docs in order.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
How were you planning on getting the Defender from CA to NY? If it wasn't that great of a deal and you don't want to wait that long, pass on it and find someone who has their docs in order.
Planning on using a shipping company. Got a couple quotes. Probably will have to get a new quote if I wait and will be more expensive due to increase in gas prices.

I got a what I think is a great deal. It has high mileage (110K) the only negative. 1994 Arles blue with fiberglass top and soft top, optional sliding windows in the back, full skids, winch, brush bar, dual battery, ac and more. Condition, well above average California truck with very little rust. $22.5K.

No lift, which is what I need for now since it will have to fit in my garage
I'll probably keep her like that for a while, only doing cosmetic and anti rust measures for now.
The mileage doesn't bother me, because I think I'll be converting her to diesel in the upcoming years (and other stuff )

I think it might be worth the wait. I still have my very modified fj cruiser to keep me occupied
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

I recently titled two lien free land rovers in Virginia. I was offered "paperless titles" but declined.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Were you paying for the rig out right...cash and drive away with the rig and title or finance??
I ask because I bought mine 5 years ago from a cop in SF CA and I was told the title was "paperless" when the PO and I showed up at her CU with cashiers check...
Since I financed the deal my CU, they were a little worried that I would not be travelling back with the title in hand and IIRC my CU called once because they still had not rec'd the title from CA DMV....turned out not to be any big deal...the CU just wanted it faster than CA DMV could get it to them...only because it was a paperless title that had to be converted to an actual paper title...
I agree with ealier posts though that the paperwork should have all been in order prior to the sale...especially if there was no lien holder involved
good luck
j
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no deal is better than a bad deal
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Definitely get the title. I have gone through this kind of thing before. A friend of mine and I used to buy and sell BMW's together and he bought one from a guy he worked with for a great price. Problem was, he gave him the $$ and took the car, and the guy said he would bring it the next day. After a couple days of this we found out the title was with a title loan place and then he stopped showing up to work b/c he didn't have a way to get there once his friends got tired of driving him. Long story short, the car reached its demise in my garage one night with a 12er of Miller Lite and a pack of "McRipper - For All Types of Demolition" sawzall blades.

We bought it cheap and still made money on Ebay selling the parts, but it was a hassle that you don't want to go through.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I reverified with CA DMV. Title is clear. Apparently the seller recently moved and the title is in one of the boxes in his garage. I know what you are saying about getting the title before hand. He found a photo copy of the title and will be sending with the bill of sale with attached documents from dmv regarding duplicate title has been applied for.

I read ebay's buyer "Vehicle Protection Program"
Here is a copy and paste from ebay:

Situations for Which Protection is Offered

VPP offers protection only for losses associated with eligible transactions for qualifying vehicles in the following situations:
You pay for a vehicle and never receive it.

You send a refundable deposit for a vehicle and never receive it.

You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:
The vehicle was determined by a law enforcement agency to have been stolen at the time of the end of the listing.
The vehicle has an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title.
The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the seller's listing at the time you placed your bid or offer.
A title is required for the vehicle by your state and the seller's state but you did not receive a title from the seller and it is not possible to obtain a title from the appropriate DMV.
The vehicle has a title with an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage brand at the time of the end of the listing. (This protection is not available for vehicles listed in the Dune Buggies, Race Cars or Trailers categories.)
The vehicle is less than 20 years old and has more than a 5,000 mile odometer discrepancy from the mileage as stated in the seller's listing. (This protection is only available for vehicles listed in the Cars & Trucks and RVs & Campers categories.)
The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000. For vehicles in the Boats (engine and hull only), Buses, Commercial Trucks, and RVs & Campers categories, the cost of the undisclosed engine, body, transmission, or frame damage must exceed $1,500. Race Cars are not eligible for this protection.

I am covered, according to this for up to $50,000. If something goes wrong, I must submit a "reimbursement request" within 30 days of date of sale. If I do not receive the duplicate title within this time, I will submit a reimburserment request to cover my ass since the CA DMV person said the duplicate title would take a couple weeks, then cancel request when title shows up late.

I want this vehicle and I guess this is what I have to do to get her. I have our correspondence emails going only through ebay.
He will leave his plates on her so I can drive her while this happens. He and I will both have insurance on the vehicle to make sure it's covered and it will be covered by the shippers while in transit.

I got a really good deal even with the shipping cost included. I bid and met his reserve price on the first shot and I think it scared off other bidders. There was a guy local to the seller who offered him $26 K cash on the spot after the bidding ended. When he thought the deal might not happen, he actually offered me $1000 if we would mutually end our deal so he could sell it to that guy.

I probably wont buy another vehicle on ebay, too many things can go wrong. In my searching I've seen a couple defenders on ebay that were sold only to reappear from the same seller a week or two later. There's a green one right now on ebay in PA that I remember seeing a couple weeks ago and was "sold". Probably from buyers backing out.

This is not over yet and I am trying to be flexible with the seller and covering myself as best as possible.
Thanks for the advice and input.

AmityD90
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Have whatever paper you do get notarized.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

title

I won't pay him a penny unless i have a real title in hand, it happened to me b4 and I lost 4 thousands dollars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions