Panhard Rods and Geometry - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Panhard Rods and Geometry

In theory, if you lift your truck, say 5", wouldn't the Panhard rod be longer according to the Pythagorean theorem (a2+b2=c2).

I've got my adjustable panhard rod situated after squaring up the axle and it's shorter.

Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
In theory, if you lift your truck, say 5", wouldn't the Panhard rod be longer according to the Pythagorean theorem (a2+b2=c2).

I've got my adjustable panhard rod situated after squaring up the axle and it's shorter.

Anyone?
If I remember correctly from my 9th grade trigonometry class, it has to be a right triangle for that to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

But yes, the panhard rod would need lengthening slightly if you lift the truck 5", but it's not much, probably only 10mm or so, maybe 20 at a push.... only enough to centralise the axle under the chassis again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
If I remember correctly from my 9th grade trigonometry class, it has to be a right triangle for that to work.
It is a right angle triangle. You just have to imagine it in the proper plane. Imagine straight across the axle but coming under the upper panhard mount, then up at a right angle to the upper panhard mount, then from there down to the panhard axle mount.

It all makes sense when using a plumb bob.

Semper Fi!
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

You will have slight pull on the right side which will start to turn the right side around ever so slightly. You will feel the truck always feeling like it needs an alignment when you drive on the highway. Its not terrible, but you will notice it.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
It is a right angle triangle. You just have to imagine it in the proper plane. Imagine straight across the axle but coming under the upper panhard mount, then up at a right angle to the upper panhard mount, then from there down to the panhard axle mount.

It all makes sense when using a plumb bob.
If it is a right triangle, then Pythogoras owes me an apology for doing so badly in Trig

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
If it is a right triangle, then Pythogoras owes me an apology for doing so badly in Trig
It's a right triangle in my head, that's all that matters. Probably why I can't balance my checkbook.

Semper Fi!
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:27 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
But yes, the panhard rod would need lengthening slightly if you lift the truck 5", but it's not much, probably only 10mm or so, maybe 20 at a push.... only enough to centralise the axle under the chassis again.
x2. I lifted our d-90 ST with Rovertym 4" springs and it was about 10mm that I had to lengthen the Panhard rod. Definitely odd that you have to shorten yours. You obviously didn't use the stock one because it's not adjustable... did you use the exact same rod before the lift vs. after?
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have an adjustable rod. After lining everything up it ended up being longer, about 1/2".

Semper Fi!
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

That sounds better :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions