Panel disassembly question (how do I do it)? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2016, 12:41 PM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Panel disassembly question (how do I do it)?

Hello all,

As I'm presently working out some issues that make my 88 Defender immobile, I'm considering pulling the body apart to take in for a respray (even when I get it running, it is winter and the heat does not work). I've got an empty garage and the desire....it is the skill and know-how I'm not so sure of.

I'm just wondering what it takes to get all painted parts off and back together. Anyone know of any good pages or threads that detail this process and what it takes?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2016, 05:02 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Landroverworkshopdvd | Workshop Manual | Fitting Instructions

Google landroverworkshop and look through the video results. There's lots of them on youtube.

Your biggest hurdle is dealing with rust, corrosion and seized fasteners.
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:01 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is easy. As mentioned you will find some bolts that will not cooperate. The big problem is where to stop fixing stuff.
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2016, 11:30 PM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Yes, I imagine this is the case Mike. But I'm glad to have a resource like Scott recommended. Looks helpful and I'm hopeful my providing panels to the body shop will enable me to cut paint costs and allow me to figure out all of the issues and simple fixes (and what large fixes are down the road).
Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:59 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
If you are seriously delving into this, you can source new cappings, panels and such. YRM in the UK (not the ULC/ULR version) has good bits, as do others.

Pulling the cappings and other rear tub pieces gives tou the ability to get at the corrosion underneath, and replace what is too far gone.

Also opportunity to use butyl for sealing joints, 3M seam seal or equal, new foam seals for floor, tunnel, windscreen, roof, new window seals. These trucks can actually get fairly water resistant.

Sound deaden the crap put of it! You can actually have a conversation, or hear the radio.

Good luck.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Hear the radio!? Really? Hah, I look forward to that.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:43 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
If your cappings aren't too badly rusted, it's worth having them sand blasted, then galvanized. You would be surprised how something REALLY nasty looking and rusty cleans up with sandblasting.

Less expensive than new galv. and you know they are the correct fit, you know they'll last a long time!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
assembly