Paintless dent removal - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
UPDATE
I had a dent guy come out today and give it a shot. He tried to get out the worst dent I had for about 20 min and the result was, it worked! It doesn't look perfect, but unless you knew it was there, you'd never know. So, in conclusion it can be done, on the doors at least. He will be back on Wed. to work the rest out and give it a try on the hood.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Yeah, you can "improve" the dents in areas where you can get to both sides because it is relatively malleable.

Regarding the sound deadening material- ECR almost always installs DynaMat as an upgrade. It is meticulous work but usually worth it because the Rovers are fairly noisy compared to other vehicles and the product really works. It's expensive though... but, as with most things, you get what you pay for.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
Yeah, you can "improve" the dents in areas where you can get to both sides because it is relatively malleable.

Regarding the sound deadening material- ECR almost always installs DynaMat as an upgrade. It is meticulous work but usually worth it because the Rovers are fairly noisy compared to other vehicles and the product really works. It's expensive though... but, as with most things, you get what you pay for.
x2 on that. I bought a couple sheets of it and cut it to size, now the audio sounds a ton better and road noise has dropped even though it's a ST. I plan on putting it in other places
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:05 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I just ordered some 80 mil deadening material off ebay, so I'll put it in the doors once I get the dings out. Did you stick it to the door panel, or to the door itself? I have a station wagon, so where else can I put some of this wonderfully expensive black tar paper? I was thinking of putting under the headliner. I wonder if this could seal that leaky roof problem I have.

97 D90 SW
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Try heating up the dented area with a hair drier and when it is hot, put a piece of dries ice (frozen CO2) on the dent. A friend swears he un-pocked his pockmarked, hail damaged Civic that way. If it doesn't work, put the dry ice in your toilet and freak out the kids and the cat.
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
Try heating up the dented area with a hair drier and when it is hot, put a piece of dries ice (frozen CO2) on the dent. A friend swears he un-pocked his pockmarked, hail damaged Civic that way. If it doesn't work, put the dry ice in your toilet and freak out the kids and the cat.

Yeah, or put it in an empty plastic 1 liter soda bottle, screw on the lid and freak out the whole neighborhood.

Outdoors of course!!!
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

When I built my 90, I only had used panels that were dented--all I could afford. So, since I was doing everything else, I also learned how to work on aluminum body panels and then to HVLP spray paint. Did not hurt that one of my best buds is factory certified for PPG and Color somethingorother, so when I was suffering orangepeelitis or fukingholesappearinginthesurfaceitis, I had someone to call to help figure it out. ANYWHO, working aluminum was new to me and I tried every trick in the book. First, never work aluminum very much at all--forget large or sharp dents. If you try and work them out, the aluminum will crack. Some master AL bodyman may be able to do it, but I am very crafty and good with my hands it is FN hard. I had 2 spare doors and a tub to try and figure shit out before I worked on mine and it was amazing how quickly worked aluminum cracks, and once cracked, it becomes very difficult to repair. Dollies. I had very, very high hopes for my skillz using a hammer and dolly. Using them actually works for small dents very well. Never work more than a few hits and then, only very lightly. Look, once streched, aluminum is very, very hard to shrink. There are a bunch of heating tips on getting out dents--the dry ice/heat trick can really work, but only for a smaller, non intrusive dent--basically it can remove a small, oilcan-kind of dent. High heat like propane is a really, really bad idea. It allows the aluminum to stretch really easy. I have a couple dents I was able to push back from the inside--this worked OK.

Long story short--for small dents I used (even on painted doors) a hammer and dollie with good success--just a couple few hits and very softly with a t-shirt covered hammer/dollie right after practicing on my spare parts and I had any dent smaller than a quarter out. Larger dents I sanded and filled with special (but not rare) aluminum filler, like silver bondo. For those larger dents, or any deep gouge, just fill and repaint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint