Painting Trim? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Painting Trim?

Does anyone have experience painting the interior trim? I know it will never match the black door cards so figured I could do them body colour. If you have, did it stick well? Durability?

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2010 10:23 PM ------

Would using a fabric covering make more sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

plastic dye

Hi Andrew, i've had good results from using a plastic dye i bought off ebay it has restored the colour of my faded center console, also used it to touch up the other black plastic dash parts rubber arch flares & wing covers.

it seems to be quite resistant to marks as i did the console first and have been pulling it in and out of the truck during the build with no marks or scratches on the finish.

a sod to get splashes off your face though.!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plasticare-Tri...-/260655185091

before and after pics below

regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1423 (Large).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	31299   Click image for larger version

Name:	int1.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	31300  

Old September 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

When I would do the plastic trim on my e30 stuff I only used 2 products.

First was SEM trim paint

http://www.vinylprosem.com/page/1287002

You can find this stuff at better auto body supply shops and online. It produces a hard chip resistant (but not chip proof) finish. I used this to black out some old chrome bits. The key is in the prep, a smooth surface that is non plastic needs to be scuffed with a red scotchbrite, plastic and plastic textured items should have adhesion promoter first then the SEM trim paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Intl-1.../dp/B000LNOOEO

I also used Plasti-dip spary on coating, this offerd a slightly textured, extremely durable rubber type coating. I used this on chairbacks, coil springs and external plastic trim that could be chipped by rocks. This shit is amazing, minimal prep is needed for any surface and it will stick like glue. When you want to remove it just rub like a sonofbitch with a rubber pad and it will ball up and come off clean like an eraser.

Ive seen people use the plasti-dip to paint whole wheels and dashboards, crazy stuff.

EDIT: http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...-complete.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The bits I'm worried about are the ones that go around the rear windows, down the B-pillars, etc. The original ones are a grey but the new interior door panels are black. I have some plasti-dip spray here but I've mostly used it as a metal isolation coating so far and ideally I'd like to keep the original texture on the panels so a dye seems like a sane first choice. Just need to find some closer than the UK.

Old September 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

you can pick upbasic Vinyl dye at most auto outlets like pepboys,autozone,kragen ect. IT comes in about 10 colors
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Thanks, I'll give it a try, though the kind of places we have around here are pretty sad.

Old September 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

possibly?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=vinyl+dye
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

the SEM paint mentioned above is fantastic for painting plastics. If I had to do my door cards or rear trim, it's what I'd use. I did my wheel arches with it and it bonds incredibly well and isn't effected by the sun. I did a bumper skin on a car years ago and it lasted forever. Has good flexibilty and toughness. A truly professional product. I used the 'Trim Black'

It is pricey though at $11 a can around here. Generally, automotive paint supply places will have it.
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I found some good comments on the Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Dye and managed to find some locally in flat-black so I'm giving that a try, so far other than being incredibly aromatic (which I suppose bodes well for how well it will bond) it seems to lay down a pretty nice finish after only 2 coats with no visible build, and only 9.99CAD/can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint