Painting plastic parts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 27th, 2016, 03:14 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

Painting plastic parts

Quick question. What method do people use for painting plastic fender flares. Mine are shiny black britpart and they need to be painted heritage green color. My paint guy is worried about cracking of paint bc they are so flexible. Any tricks out there? Thanks everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Your paint guy should know what to do.... There are special primers for plastic and additives for the paint to allow it to flex without cracking. Specifics depend on the brand and the paint supplier should know the details. If not, look elsewhere.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2016, 04:01 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

Thanks. Yeah, he told me about the plastic primer and the additives (adhesion promoter) for the Valspar system, but he said he wasn't sure about the adhesion b/c besides the portion that is riveted, it is very flexible. He said that car bumpers flex, but at a limited amount b/c of what is underneath. He was worried about someone (mostly my wife) leaning up against the wheel arch, then getting little spider cracks in the plastic b/c of the flexing. He sent me a pic of an Arkonik build with the same color green and black arches, but I said no.
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have always used a plastic adhesion promoter and paint made for the plastic or a type of rhino lining product. You could also use a marine deck paint. Never had a problem with any of those. The older Corvette bumpers were very flimsy and the paint held on them.
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

What material is he spraying? I would say have him hit them with red/gray scotch brite pad and use adhesion promoter 10-15 minutes prior to painting. That is what we do for our fender flares...
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:30 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

Thanks everyone. We are doing a single stage Valspar, but I don't know which specific one. I'll let him know. Hopefully some "painted" pictures coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions