Paint Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 24th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Nicholas Engelbrecht
1985 110 V8
Paint Suggestions

Now that I have my 1985 110 V8 running well, I'm starting to turn my attention to the body work. The plan is to remove the chequer plate (might repaint black and then reinstall or might leave well enough alone), repair the door bottoms (severe rust), treat the various areas of rust (bulkhead beneath window frame seems to be the worst of it) and then paint it. So...

1. Any suggestions for paint colour? Thinking about going with an Olive Drab.

2. The roof is presently white. Best to leave alone or to paint to match body?

3. Body capping on doors as well as around tub are all galvanised. Should I paint around them or paint them to match? What looks best?

I realise that a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but I am just taking a poll of what others have seen.

Old April 26th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST
1. in no particular order of preference: Alpine white, Camel Trophy tan or Heritage Green
2. Regarding the white roof . . . Maybe. Its a practical measure in a hot climate but where you live . . .
3. Galvanized body cappings give the Land Rovers more of a "retro look." The painted cappings on the newer ones are actually a cost-saving measure. So, if you took the effort to galvanize them . . .

Old April 26th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Robert Davis
While paint color is strictly a personal preference, my favorite color for a Defender Style 110 is the original Grey.
I saw a 110 in England painted the Grey and instead of white it had a limestone top and wheels.
Looked really good.

My other preference's are series colors: Bronze Green, Marine Blue.

Least favorite Defender Style is that dog manure shade of brown.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Ask your wife what her favorite car was n paint it that color, might be enough to get upgrades not normally approved.
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:29 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Rather than olive drab, I prefer the matt sand color.
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
I originally had Trident green. I loved the color but I also really loved Keswick and Kent green. I went with Keswick and it looks great. I did a shitty job in my opinion but will repaint it after my next move with somebody experienced.

I was torn about painting the cappings. I ended up not painting them and it looked way better than I expected. The galvanized cappings with Keswick and the white roof look great. I have black wheels on it and would prefer them to match the roof. But that's a problem for future Matt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions