Paint job cost estimate - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Paint job cost estimate

"Moving" my post from Chit-Chat thread:

My NAS D90 is due for a paint job. The original color is Arles blue but someone did a crappy job (but using nice color scheme) repainting it into dark green/tan. They left all components in place and repainted over the old paint. Kinda half assed if you ask me. Needless to say it is peeling everywhere, there's poor masking and I also have some galvanic corrosion coming through.

Can anyone give me a range of how much a D90 paint job would cost? I'd like to know cheapest (but still acceptable) way vs full disassembly way (ECR style). Rough numbers are ok, I just need a ballpark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The local Land Rover friendly shop guessed at about $2500 for a full respray, he knows how particular I am about quality as well so it would be a good job at that cost. That is if things are intact, in parts it gets a lot more expensive. Also keep in mind that to do a Rover in black is significantly more than just about any other colour due to all the extra hand-work needed to make it look good, black just needs to be perfect or it looks off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Using a good paint, I think that estimate is way low. That covers just the cost of good paint (I used PPG on mine). You will have a lot of leg work of proper prep--you have to get down to a good stable base level or else nothing will stick. I would say you are closer to $4500 (at least) for a good paint job. $8K for a very good one. I just don't see how it could be any less but I do see how it could be more.

It would be better to not have the crap paint on top of the original--it would be cheaper if it was just the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

That was using the PPG Urethane but it may be a good deal as I have a very good relationship with the painter and he's a LR nut as well. It does assume no bodywork needs to be done though.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I think the biggest cost will be the surface prep. Man, what a pain it will be if you already have adherence issues...
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

My guy is real good. If I bring it to him without the roll bars, lights, etc. $1500 done right.
Don't change Arles Blue. It says so in the bible.
And I love you too
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

$8000 asuming no body work
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

A year ago, I had my doors cleaned up ( a number of dents from 14 years of use). It was repainted from the rear edge of the doors forward -- doors, wings, hood (or bonnet as the Brits call it), radiator grill. Total cost was $2100.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I paid a bit over 6,500 to have my 110 painted. I took everything to them in pieces, almost no parts needed body work, just mainly sanding and surface prep. No masking was required as the doors were fully stripped etc. I did get seam sealer for the roof gutters etc included in the price.

Old April 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I paid a bit over 6,500 to have my 110 painted. I took everything to them in pieces, almost no parts needed body work, just mainly sanding and surface prep. No masking was required as the doors were fully stripped etc. I did get seam sealer for the roof gutters etc included in the price.
Excuse me but JESUS F*%K! I'm in the wrong business, just sand and spray disassembled parts?
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I couldn't imagine paying someone 6k when you did that kind of prep already. I know you "get what you pay for" but there must be a happy place between the $99 job from Maaco and a $10k job done by some hi end place.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
Excuse me but JESUS F*%K! I'm in the wrong business, just sand and spray disassembled parts?
It is a lot of parts...
roof
5 doors
hood
2 fenders
bulkhead
windshield frame
2 t-pieces
seat box
seat box back panel
3 floor pieces
tub
rear window sides
rad panel
11 hinges
2 tub cappings
2 rear corner caps
2 rear side door triangle pieces

some of these were galved and needed the correct prep and primer, the roof and bulkhead got seam sealed, they installed the rear door skins, and some other misc stuff. I've had 1500 dollar paint jobs before and hated them. Me and a buddy painted some parts on the yellow truck and I still dropped 200 bucks for not a lot of paint and primer.

------ Follow up post added April 17th, 2010 12:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I couldn't imagine paying someone 6k when you did that kind of prep already. I know you "get what you pay for" but there must be a happy place between the $99 job from Maaco and a $10k job done by some hi end place.
I don't want to give you the idea that I prepped the parts. I took the truck apart, but left all the sanding and surface prep to the shop. They didn't have to knock out dents, but there was plenty of prep involved. I know people often get stuff done cheaply, but I'm usually surprised how much people underestimate the cost of things. I've got over 500 hours of my personal labor in the 110, which would be 40-50k just in labor if I was paying someone to do the work.

Old April 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I did my 110 totally stripped for Painting ( now I did not pay what they would normally charge 10,500 if the need to strip down ) and 6,000 if you bring the vehicle stripped ).

Now mind you I did pay for the materials and it was in the tune of 1,800 when done ( paint, reducer, clearcoat, sand, primer, misc )

I did get my roof and gutters seam sealed, you can slide your finger in there and it is as smooth as the reast of the truck.
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Different strokes I guess, I would never spend that kind of coin obviously but my rig is a trail vehicle that will get brush striped and swamp sunk within days of being refinished.
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for all the input.

I think I have no choice but to strip all parts separately since there's already two layers of paint on it, the top one which is flaking off. Considering restoring it to the original Arles Blue.
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

one vote for the Arles Blue!

Doc Holliday
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:58 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
not trying to be offensive but yes it is "just sanding and spraying disassembled parts" and that would make you an employee making $20/hr.

The guy getting 6-8k for a complete job is the guy paying the very substantial overhead and other associated costs of owning and running a business (especially that business) which generally overshadow the actual labor / material cost.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
hey don't forget to use a hose on those door pillars after that...

Quote:
my rig is a trail vehicle that will get brush striped and swamp sunk within days of being refinished.
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
willismatt25
Matt S
1994 D90

$5,000

My paint job cost 5,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_25.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	26737  
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I've got nothing against someone charging that for a paint job, it just won't be me paying for it! Everyone is entitled to make a buck. I do feel that level of paint job is a waste of money on a rig that see's hard wheeling but if the owner wants it, more power to him. Personally if I had 11k for a paint job, I'd spend it on going back to South Africa for a 2 week hunting safari.

Apologies for muddying up the thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint