Paint/Body Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Paint/Body Suggestions

I'm taking my 110 completely apart to get it repainted.

Should I have it repainted while it is all apart? It will be a color change to Zambesi Silver.
(I can hear the comments already. DON DO IT!. But I'm doing it.)

Which is the best way to go about it?

Any suggestions or recommendations of paint/body shops in San Diego County?

Thanks,

Ze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Cool color! What color will the roll cage be, black I assume?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Cool color! What color will the roll cage be, black I assume?
Yes. Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Silver looks amazing on Defenders (Randy's truck)!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

The Bonatti Grey is nice
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

Please give us follow up reports, I'd like to hear how this goes as I maybe doing this myself sometime this summer. I'm just contemplating whether or not to take apart in bits.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't have any suggestions for paint/body in SoCal, although Dell Autobody in Campbell CA has done excellent (if pricey) work for me.

WRT approaching the task, I'll cast my vote in the "take it to bits" category. Reasons:
1) A lot has to come off anyway (roll cage etc) may as well finish the job
2) It will never be right unless you take it apart completely
3) There is a lot of worn-out seals, gaskets, and stuff that will bear replacing
4) Perfect chance to upgrade to stainless brakelines, etc

I understand that makes a color change look like a total restoration, but that's basically what it is anyway, so you may as well admit it.

Are you already planning to take it apart? Will you do this work yourself? #27 has been a CA truck its whole life, so it might not be an overly unpleasant task to tear it apart. Its really easy as long as you have the space to do it.

Please take lots of pix before, during, and after!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 5th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Yep yep yep ...

I am currently in the process of putting one back together after the paint part is done and I have to admit the worst is behind me. A few things to think about is the " while you're at it !!! ". Like, bulkhead galvanization, SS brake lines, sound deadening, audio, SS fuel lines, Webasto/Espar. I find that it is in those little things that I lose allot of energy and $$$, but makes the whole difference once completed.

Mine went from some white, blue, red and green to Zermatt Silver with a factory like paint job. I took everything apart myself witch is mostly time consuming but not very hard. A good paint job is costly, but not as costly as a bad one, so find yourself a body shop that see things the way you do.

Otherwise, enjoy ! It is a good feeling to build something that will last you a lifetime with pride.

My .02

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You mentioned you are taking it completely apart. Yes, paint it in pieces while it is apart--that is the best way to get full coverage, especially for a color change. Once it is all assembled, you can shoot a final clearcoat or two as well, if desired, but not necessary.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I don't have any suggestions for paint/body in SoCal, although Dell Autobody in Campbell CA has done excellent (if pricey) work for me.

WRT approaching the task, I'll cast my vote in the "take it to bits" category. Reasons:
1) A lot has to come off anyway (roll cage etc) may as well finish the job
2) It will never be right unless you take it apart completely
3) There is a lot of worn-out seals, gaskets, and stuff that will bear replacing
4) Perfect chance to upgrade to stainless brakelines, etc

I understand that makes a color change look like a total restoration, but that's basically what it is anyway, so you may as well admit it.

Are you already planning to take it apart? Will you do this work yourself? #27 has been a CA truck its whole life, so it might not be an overly unpleasant task to tear it apart. Its really easy as long as you have the space to do it.

Please take lots of pix before, during, and after!
Like Jim said. It is a complete restoration. I met with the body/ paint guy yesterday and we are taking everything apart to do it right. I'll post some photos of my build soon. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body, paint