Paint advice needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Paint advice needed

Has anyone here on the board used Dupont Centari acrylic enamel and have words of wisdom they can share with me.
Have a bunch of things I want to touch up and have never played with the stuff. Any advice on how to get the best results appreciated. Paint shop is mixing me up a quart this morning to match my Trident green truck.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
LenB is pretty much the king of home-done paint jobs, hopefully he'll chime in. He used Chroma-one on my doors, but I'm not sure how that compares with the Centari.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"acrylic enamel" that is going to be your problem.
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron-this is 70'S era Dupont technology and one of the few remaining single stage paints out there that is readily available. Was hoping some here had some experience spraying it. All the newer stuff is two stage and there are even new water based automotive paints.No point getting too high tech unless I was going to repaint the whole thing.
Dabbling with the rollup window doors I have to install, so Janey can finally get 4 rust free doors that match with interior panels etc.from my truck.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I thought acrylic enamel was the water based stuff.

I don't spray myself, but I have had good luck with dupont chromapremier single stage.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Has anyone here on the board used Dupont Centari acrylic enamel and have words of wisdom they can share with me.
I have painted many cars with it for people that wanted a quick cheap paint job, as far as a single stage acrylic it is good but I would not paint a car with it now days since base / clear has come down in cost and will last so much longer.

Tips.

1 prep is the most important thing

2 for a good gloss they offer a hardner, you can spray it without it but the hardner will add gloss to the paint

3. If you do not have a paint booth it works well to spray outside early in the morning, the dew will hold down the dust. do not leave the doors outside unless you cover them with blankets or they will get dew on them as well

4 They made a product for wiping down the primer prior to spraying (precleano I think) that will help eliminate fisheye.
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Dave. Painting is the only thing I haven't done. I did all the prepwork on my 31ft Bertram sportfish boat and painted it dark blue with Awlgrip a couple of years ago but wimped at the last minute and paid someone else/pro $1000 to hold the gun. This time I'm going for it on some old Rover doors. I still have a bunch of "prepsol" to wipe things down with.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint