Paint a galvanized chassis? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:21 PM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Paint a galvanized chassis?

I have a Marsland chassis on order. I thought it was an aesthetic thing to paint a galvanized chassis, until I read on Marsland's website that you should if it's going to see a lot of salt.
My truck lives in the northeast, and sees the beach often.
Thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:31 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I wouldn't waste my time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:39 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

What he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would wax oil everything. My friend with a galv frame drives on the beach and he didn't treat his truck. Frame is ok (dull) but everything else has rusted.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:49 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Over the long haul you'll probably find it hard to get the paint to stick anyways....

A buddy's 110 was in my driveway last week with a galvy rear cross member and the paint was peeling off of it and he properly prepped it, etched it, etc.

The salt will melt everything else around it before you would have to worry about the frame. I saw that happen to another friends beach going 109 with a galvy frame.

yea I wouldn't touch it

Waxoyl everything around the frame and use anti seize whenever possible

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:56 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It can't have any white flash on it; no corrosion at all! If it does you will want to wire brush it (stainless wire) until it's shiny. Also you'll find places where globs have gummed things up. You'll clean that up with your mapp torch and air gun. Once you get it prepped then you do a solvent wipe down with xylene. Then you put minimum two coats two part epoxy primer followed by two coats two part polyurethane such as Interlux Perfection. I used a flattening agent to make a satin finish. Looks great. No lifting or chipping yet!!!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:25 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'd waxoyl it because I have access to the stuff, and I'm not a fan of the "roverchrome". IMO galvanized rear xmembers look goofy, and I've seen an "almost" gone galvanized chassis(IIRC 12 years old in the NE). You're investing a lot of money in the vehicle, why not the extra couple hundred?

Black chassis look better.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:39 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Clean it with PPG DX579 Metal Cleaner then prep with DX520 Metal Conditioner. Epoxy prime, then paint.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/9...tment_2-13.pdf

"T Wash" isn't available on this side of the atlantic as far as I know.

Mordant Solution / T Wash
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why not rhino line it? No way that stuff will lift.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:33 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
My rock sliders are galvanized and was rhino lined but is pulling off where I step on getting in and out.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
My rock sliders are galvanized and was rhino lined but is pulling off where I step on getting in and out.
Damn
Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:51 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Read this:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/images/up...ex_Systems.pdf
Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you have it galvanized. You can have it phosphate washed/dipped and then paint within 48 hours with right prep. After that, galv does as it should and oxidizes. At that point you can do your best, wash it, even light sand and then acid etch prime it, but it will peel. Been to all these, done that, but still no rust. I don't care for galv bumper, and mine is (by choice) and I continually paint it As it takes a lot of abuse. At least flakes with road/salt,rocks...

We paint light poles (I do architectural lighting) so I am 100% sure you can successfully paint galv. For us, though, you need an immediate acid bath and then paint witching a couple days or you will always fight it not sticking. Not saying it can't be done, but not easy at all.

And shit-- I just re read and poor writing but on phone-- I'll polish this turd tomorrow.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:44 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Why not rhino line it? No way that stuff will lift.
You crack me up.

/
/
/
/
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:29 AM
winton
Ben

Used t-Wash, etch primer and then an Eastwood chassis topcoat in Satin Black

- One Blog. Read it!

Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:24 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

A while back I looked into painting galvy metal and came to a conclusion that denatured alcohol would be the prep necessary. But now when comparing the MSDS sheets for that and Mordant solution, I'm not so sure.

But I can't believe that the UK can have a prep solution that is available in their version of Home Despot and the US cannot.

and

Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:06 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

I've tried painting the thing 8 ways from Wednesday and it ends up chipping off. Make your peace with either staying with the crappy matchbox toy car look, or repainting every other year. Rhino linner, lizard skin, both ended up chipping off.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:56 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I'd waxoyl it because I have access to the stuff, and I'm not a fan of the "roverchrome". IMO galvanized rear xmembers look goofy, and I've seen an "almost" gone galvanized chassis(IIRC 12 years old in the NE). You're investing a lot of money in the vehicle, why not the extra couple hundred?

Black chassis look better.

Agreed

And I'm glad you said this; I can't remember which event but I saw somebody's 90 with a galvy frame....rotting away.

If I were in the northeast, I'd galvanize and bedliner and waxoyl----belt and suspenders approach!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:38 AM
Heyitsmike
Mike
'75 Forward Control 101 (RHD)

In my opinion, extra protection never hurts. Like others have suggested, waxoil. I don't have a galvi chassis, but I've always used semigloss black paint. Flat paints will retain moisture. When asked what paint I use, I usually reply with "often"

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:47 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
This will explain the issue with salt and galv.

-Jeff
That's amazing--- he actually talks faster in real life!

Good video..

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint