Paddocks? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

2 emails and a fax still no reply, I guess the don't need the business form across the pond!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Learn from the pain of others- the ONLY way to do business with Paddocks is by picking up the phone. I have spent nearly $10,000 with these folks in the last 4 years, trust me on this one.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sadly, it's true. I had them sitting on several orders waiting on backordered parts. They won't communicate with the customer unless you call them. It's not the same level of customer service we are used to.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

I think it's very sad that "WE THE CUSTOMER" have to do business the way they dictate to receive our business!!! Why do they have multiple ways to contact them if they choose to ignore them? We want to give them our money, but they really don't want to take it!!! I think it is time to look at other suppliers that do want to communicate with the means they provide on their web sites or adverts in mags.
I have communicated via email and fax to other companies and had GREAT success, the phone is not always the only way or easiest way to do business!
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
All true, but the scarcity of many LR parts here in the US forces us to use many of the vendors in the UK and get raped on shipping. I used to get some of my parts from a member on this Forum, but the same service issues plague him.

Semper Fi!
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
All true, but the scarcity of many LR parts here in the US forces us to use many of the vendors in the UK and get raped on shipping. I used to get some of my parts from a member on this Forum, but the same service issues plague him.
I look at this from a different perspective ... maybe because I spent the first 35years of my life in the UK

No one is 'forced' to own or drive a LR ... the cultural norms between the UK and US are different and if Paddocks or other UK vendors are better at phone service because it better suits the majority of their domestic client base then so be it.

All of the idiosyncrasies of owning a Defender in the US are a 'tax' on my personal choice. I might not like the tax but I was well aware of it when I bought my truck.

The US vendors have higher prices and less stock and their prices include the 'inconvenience tax' ...

I'm taking a trip home in May and likely will fill my bags with as many spares as I can to minimize my personal tax burden!
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My wife's from the UK and we go there every year. The majority of the people that I know do not own a personal computers and it is NOT the preferred method of business, especially communication. There are some businesses that do a great job with it, but the majority do not even have internet sales (obviously, you really only see the ones that do). The businesses, for the most part, rely on personal or phone service for the majority of their customers. I had to FAX a order and credit card information for my last order. Fax. What the hell is fax? I had to look it up. Some arcane device that seems to eat paper and give you errors.

I am used to calling the UK. I find people there to be very helpful on the phone. My last two purchases were to Real Steel and Ashcroft and I had great success on the phone. I have yet to have any issue with Euro parts.

Freight is expensive--don't blame that on the vendors. If you got screwed on top of freight, then that sucks, but I sell internationally on e-bay all the time so I constantly have to do freight quotes--pricey stuff.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

[QUOTE=Davis;210514] The majority of the people that I know do not own a personal computers and it is NOT the preferred method of business, especially communication.

Well if email-fax is not to be a form of communication that a business wants to use the DON'T put the fucking information on their web page or their print ads!!!! IF they put the info out there then they should be accountable for it!

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2010 10:56 AM ------

CONTACT US

Office opening hours are:

8:00am - 5:00pm Mon - Fri
8:30am - 1:00pm Sat

During these hours we can be conatcted by telephone (10 lines) on the following numbers:

08454 584499 (UK local rate)
++44 1629 760877 (international)

We can also be contacted by fax:

08454 584498 (UK local rate)
++44 1629 584498 (international)

Any general enquiries regarding products, orders etc can be emailed to:

sales@paddockspares.com

If you wish to contact us regarding a specific order placed through the website please e-mail:
sophie@paddockspares.com
or
sales@paddockspares.com

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2010 10:59 AM ------

Any general enquiries regarding products, orders etc can be emailed to:

this should read: any general enquiries regarding products, orders ect can be emailed to us but we don't bother to look at emails.... Just call us, as that is the only way to get any information at all!!!!
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
They are accountable ... if you don't like their way of doing business or how they treat you ... take your business elsewhere.

We all want good service, however I'm willing to be flexible in my approach to a vendor, understanding that they are not all great at everything they do.

One of the huge benefits of the internet democracy is that we can discuss such things freely and reach our own conclusion.

In essence of this comes down to ... if you want to deal with paddocks ... use the phone! If you don't like the phone ... use another vendor.
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

I agree with being flexible! It's hard to flex when they give several options that they don't utilize, except one. I have given my info to them, email, mail, fax and phone, all of them I check regularly.
Don't put the contact information out if you have no intention of using it! Maybe they are too big to care or too small to be able to answer emails and faxes, I don't know... it is a business, we are customers, or could be customers.

As for another vender.... That is what I have done already.
I also emailed them again and linked this thread to them to look at... not that they read emails thoe..
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmod110 View Post
...I also emailed them again and linked this thread to them to look at... not that they read emails thoe..
If i were you...i would just cry. You will feel much better.
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Once you have called and hear the pandemonium in the background it will make a little more sense. It sounds like all of the phone representatives are in one small open room on headsets- you can hear the conversation next to the person you are speaking with. Paddocks does extremely large volumes and that is what drives their low prices and vice versa. Its easy for an internet order from 3000+ miles away to get misplaced when the phone is ringing off the hook. Things go smoothly if you call and they have the item in stock. Go elsewhere if they indicate they have to order the item as their follow up mechanism sucks.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

well thats it for me.. i'm going to quit the steelworks and open an online shop selling landy bits to the states,
I answer to Oi tosser and variations thereof and often check my mail..as i find i get get bored in work.!

check my mail and watch the money roll in whats hard about that. it doeas make me wonder about customer service here.

The stupid thing is i am mates with the previous owners of bearmach and even when paying mates rates for parts over the counter at my local store i could buy bearmach parts cheaper from paddocks.

I always phone to order from paddocks as they won't part ship an order and they wont mail you to say parts are out of stock.

regards all

Gren
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
They still have steelworks?
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

only just.! days of british steel corporation are long gone, now named Corus & currently owned by Tata not that you would know by the number of indian graduates floating, about we currently make the steel used in the BMW mini.

the days of most of the houses in the town being painted BSC blue are long gone but still handy when i need bits of plate,tube,nuts bolts & red oxide, i also pulled an engineering flat table out of a skip @ 50KG it almost did for me.
but still a long way off the days when my old man worked there as a welder/fabricator spent much of his time making wrought gates & land rover chassis & parts for the company bosses.

I have worked in many places & countries but this is the best game in town by far especially for scounging landy owners

sorry to pop the thread....
regards all
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

http://www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/
1 business day to get a reply, had everything in stock, things that didn't turn up by part # I asked about in an email that got answered in 1 business day and they had it all!!!!
100% impressed over Paddock.... But that would not be hard!!!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Well Paddocks got back and the shipping costs were going to be 386 GBP which is some what prohibitive for a part that is 106 GBP. Anyone know where I can get a D90 Rear Crossmember with extensions that wont break the bank on shipping?

B
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

RN or RDS, maybe?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

RN lists it as "no longer available" and substitutes a part that doesn't have extensions, which kind of defeats the purpose. I have rust part way up the extensions. I will try RDS next I guess.

B
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
When you say you have rust on the extensions ... is it rotten or just rusty? It might be easier to get the existing frame patched. Maybe post some pictures and get some of the expert welders on here to give you some feedback.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions