Padding for basket rail - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 27th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Jackie Treehorn
1985 (legitimately)
Padding for basket rail

Has anyone here tried finding any off-the-shelf padding for the top rail on the OEM basket?
Last year I was just strapping the paddle boards to t he top of the roll cage, but now with the basket, I'm looking to add some padding. It appears to be about 1" in diameter tubing, so my first idea of finding a bunch of MX crossbar pads probably won't work.
The distance between the support tubes is too small to properly fit the smallest SUP pad I found (Dakine).

Plumbing insulation will get destroyed with the sun and I don't want to start looking like Jed Clampitt with a bunch of hillbilly fixes either.

Anyone here have a basket and come up with a solution, or have seen or heard of a clever solution?

I wouldn't mind padding the entire top rail perimeter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	73220  

Old May 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

It's not fancy, but I used kids swimming pool noodles on the roof rack of my TReK Disco. It was made by SD and had the same diameter tubing as the NAS 110 basket. I just used zip ties to hold it on and they weathered well. Only problem was color selection. Black would have been my preference, but the noodles tend to be a little "brighter". Luckily, the TReK was orange, so the orange noodles kind of worked out. Here's a pic of my friend and I on a canoe trip up on the New River, near West Jefferson, NC.

P.S.- Added another pic I found. I cropped to show the fitment. The insider diameter of the noodle was exactly 1". (Disregard the "bulge" in the noodle in the pic. It was caused by the spare tire on the rack pressing against the noodle.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1984.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	73222   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2118-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	73228  

Please feel free to visit my website at:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:52 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
Noodles work pretty well, I use them for my kayaks on my Yakima racks. Another option would be the yakima or Thule rack pads, but noodles are only $1 at Dollar Tree

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions