P38 head compatability - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 1st, 2013, 09:39 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
P38 head compatability

Can p38 4.6 heads be used on the 95 Defender and if not what are the differences?

Most obvious is the alterator mounting bracket which has an attachment point on the standard head - missing on the p38 head.

Any advice in getting these heads to fit would be most welcome!
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what year p38 ? Gems and non sai heads will. . Heads weren't different based on displacement IE 4.0 heads are the same as 4.6

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

4.0/4.6 pre 2002 ....had valve guide and valve issues with indifferent material grow rates causing missfires and poor idle quality ..not a big deal if they have the updated valves and guides reamed to spec.....chambers are the same ....lev heads have a air pipe by the exhaust port ....
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
what year p38 ? Gems and non sai heads will. . Heads weren't different based on displacement IE 4.0 heads are the same as 4.6
They are from a 98 4.6 rrc
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

heads.

4.6 rrc - mean 4.6 P38 right? Also, you will need to plug the exhuast gas reciruclator ports that come out of each of the cylinder heads. You can get a plug or just lop off everything but the stem coming out and then put a weld on it.

Why not send your heads out for a rebuild.

Here is a set for sale http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/3506596807.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen View Post
They are from a 98 4.6 rrc
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
4.6 rrc - mean 4.6 P38 right? Also, you will need to plug the exhuast gas reciruclator ports that come out of each of the cylinder heads. You can get a plug or just lop off everything but the stem coming out and then put a weld on it.

Why not send your heads out for a rebuild.

Here is a set for sale http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/3506596807.html
Yes, but I should should clarify my cryptic initial post - it made sense when I posted it from my phone!

I am finishing up a rebuild of a 98 4.6 p38 engine and preparing to swap it into my 95 3.9 defender. I'm planning on using the rebuilt 4.6 heads with the block rather than the original 3.9 heads

I expected to be able to use the original 3.9 front cover and non-serpentine belt setup. BUT was surprised (duh) to find that the original alternator bracket mount to the head missing on the 4.6 head.

So I'm now wondering if there are any other differences that will appear when using the non-serpentine setup with the 4.6 heads (and block). I am using the adaptor on the crankshaft nose. And if there is a proven fix for the alternator bracket that exists that would be helpful!
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:52 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Sh*t I will try to look at the my 4.6 with the 3.9 front cover and see. I might have drilled and tapped the hole.

Also, you will need to beat out the bottom of your 3.9 oil pan so that the 4.6 crank doesn't smack it.

Did you use a 4.2 or 3.9 crank to run the distributor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen View Post
Yes, but I should should clarify my cryptic initial post - it made sense when I posted it from my phone!

I am finishing up a rebuild of a 98 4.6 p38 engine and preparing to swap it into my 95 3.9 defender. I'm planning on using the rebuilt 4.6 heads with the block rather than the original 3.9 heads

I expected to be able to use the original 3.9 front cover and non-serpentine belt setup. BUT was surprised (duh) to find that the original alternator bracket mount to the head missing on the 4.6 head.

So I'm now wondering if there are any other differences that will appear when using the non-serpentine setup with the 4.6 heads (and block). I am using the adaptor on the crankshaft nose. And if there is a proven fix for the alternator bracket that exists that would be helpful!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions