P1317 code - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

P1317 code

Hey all like many before me my "check engine light " has come on in my 97 D-90 st. I had a local garage check and erase the light having found nothing wrong. yesterday light came on again, so I went out and bought an actron OBD II reader (CP9135) plugged it in and it read the code P1317 which according to many threads before mine means "ABS rough road". However, according to the supplied CD list of codes and the reader itself, P1317 came up as "manufacturer controlled ignition system or misfire"

I have since cleared the code, and the "check engine light" goes out after starting up the truck. I ran a second scan with the OBD II reader and it came up "pass...no codes returned" which made me happy..BUT

I am just concerned that the DTC look up description for P1317 on my reader didn't match those posted on these threads.
Thanks in advance for any info
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Some of the "P" codes mean different things for different mfg's. P1317 is rough road abs sensor for the d90. Most likely you have a bad sensor(broken wire) and it takes a few drive cycles to set it off. Search for the code on this site and you'll find lots of info...easy fix, but very spendy.
good luck
jeff
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Thanks Jeff the light hasn't come back on since I erased it and no codes present currently, but still wondering why the code description I got for P1317 is different. I have seen many threads mentioning P1317 = rough road. Also seen it from Google searches....strange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Donnie--

I had the same thing and got the stupid sensor replaced only to figure out that that code can also be an engine misfire sometimes. One of my caps had started to come off of the coil pack and it actually made it completely off after I hit a big bump one day. Tightened all of them and, cleared the codes and it has not come on in the past year.

Tom
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Thanks Thomas since I cleared the "check engine light" it has not returned. I believe it was the rough road sensor due to a blown shock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions