P1317 CEL - Findings and Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

P1317 CEL - Findings and Questions

So for two years now I have been getting the random P1317. Up until last week, I have always been able to clear it. Last week when I tried to clear it, it didnt clear. I figured that one of the sensors had finally crapped out so I unplugged all of them and started check Resistance. A working sensor should have resistance of ~1k +/- 10%. All of them were well with in the range so I plugged them all back in. Started the truck and and my code reader was able to clear it this time.

Questions:
I am assuming that one of the connections was loose causing the CEL not to clear. Is this a safe assumption?

How do I determine if the ABS ECU is bad? The only thing I have been able to find is the readings for the sensors.

I see the ABS ECU's on ebay for the Disco 1 all the time. Should I just pick one up to be on the safe side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
So for two years now I have been getting the random P1317. Up until last week, I have always been able to clear it. Last week when I tried to clear it, it didnt clear. I figured that one of the sensors had finally crapped out so I unplugged all of them and started check Resistance. A working sensor should have resistance of ~1k +/- 10%. All of them were well with in the range so I plugged them all back in. Started the truck and and my code reader was able to clear it this time.

Questions:
I am assuming that one of the connections was loose causing the CEL not to clear. Is this a safe assumption?

How do I determine if the ABS ECU is bad? The only thing I have been able to find is the readings for the sensors.

I see the ABS ECU's on ebay for the Disco 1 all the time. Should I just pick one up to be on the safe side?
additional resistance caused by a bad connection could have caused the problem ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:56 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Thanks Jason. Thats what I am thinking as well. The passenger side connector is close enough to the manifold to wear the plastic is starting get crunchy on both sides of the harness. If if keeps coming up, I am going to cut the old connector out and replace it with a GM weather pack style connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

P1317 code is the rough road sensor fault. Basically a pointless system on a defender.

Defender's don't have abs but it says rough road fault/ abs failure or something like that.

Basically what the system does is senses a difference in wheel speed to tell the vehicle it is off road. All other Defenders that are not 97's don't have this as the 4.0 gems motor has more sensors than the 3.9. So what happens is the combo of mis-revs as well as misfires that happen when off-road would cause the check engine light to come on. So basically that entire system on 1997 Defenders is only there to not turn on the check engine light when the truck is off-road. The unit that controls all of it is under the passenger seat. Also be sure to go around to each wheel and push the sensors in to make sure they are seated against the rotor in the back as well as down on the CV in the front. That might be the problem.

This happened on mine years ago and the unit under the seat that controls it all went bad causing the check engine light to come on ironically.

So in the end I just left it as it was expensive to fix as it has no effect on every day driving.
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
P1317 code is the rough road sensor fault. Basically a pointless system on a defender.

Defender's don't have abs but it says rough road fault/ abs failure or something like that.

Basically what the system does is senses a difference in wheel speed to tell the vehicle it is off road. All other Defenders that are not 97's don't have this as the 4.0 gems motor has more sensors than the 3.9. So what happens is the combo of mis-revs as well as misfires that happen when off-road would cause the check engine light to come on. So basically that entire system on 1997 Defenders is only there to not turn on the check engine light when the truck is off-road. The unit that controls all of it is under the passenger seat. Also be sure to go around to each wheel and push the sensors in to make sure they are seated against the rotor in the back as well as down on the CV in the front. That might be the problem.

This happened on mine years ago and the unit under the seat that controls it all went bad causing the check engine light to come on ironically.

So in the end I just left it as it was expensive to fix as it has no effect on every day driving.
Problem is I cant pass my state inspection with the CEL light on. Doesnt make sense that an ABS system will cause a CEL.
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Take out the light bulb to pass inspection.

Then just move on. Unless they run codes. My state does not.

Just try explaining the truck does not have abs and see if that helps.

Otherwise not sure what to advise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions