Oxygen sensors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Oxygen sensors

My truck is running good , but I am suspicious that gas mileage is suffering at 10-12mpg right now. I realize the number of factors involved in gas mileage, (running with roof rack, rokware/winch, 33" tires etc.) but I recall the mileage being better at 15+ mpg back in it's heyday. The last time I went to a mechanic was when the D90 bonked out due to a faulty
fuel pump relay. I remember the mechanic mentioning he replaced the oxygen sensors with equivalent non-landrover sensors. What do you guys think? non-landy Oxygen sensor= bad/good gas mileaged, and there are two oxygen sensors foward of the catalysts correct? Do you know where I can source the sensors at a reasonable price? (looking at $130-$150 per sensor so far).

Thanks
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

atlantic british has them on sale for around $100 right now.i used some for a nissan for about $60
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
thanks, will check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

See if the fuel you are buying is an ethanol blend. The stations around here are selling a slight blend (I think its around 10%) and a couple of weeks after it showed up (and still) I started getting calls that mirror your question.

That and a remarkable rise in the amount of clogged fuel filters that have started to show up.

I have no supporting documentation, just a lot of coincedence.
Land Rover does not make it's own O2 sensors. Any of the non "genuine" ones are fine, as are the Nissan. The nissan part does require the plug to be changed which I personally avoid (no dodgey work on customers trucks).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Matt, about how long do the O2 sensors last, and what kind of fuel mileage performance is lost when they go?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

The nissan part does require the plug to be changed which I personally avoid (no dodgey work on customers trucks)------- when you clip the plugs off and pull off the protective black heat sleeve you will find a seam where the plug wire and sensor wire meet. so its dodgey straight from the factory(if this is what you mean) as long as you solder the wires and cover in shrink wrap it cant be that bad-i would guess since thats the way they come from the facotry
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

yes indeed the wires are spliced from the factory (as are the nissan) as it is the same metric 02 sensor that Nissan uses to start with. I just don't like taking customers time at $ 75 an hour to fiddle around soldering stainless wire as I don't think there is any savings realized.

I run Nissan 02's in my rig, and after reading the US Coastguard reports on soldering wires (another debate), have butt spliced them with a double crimp heat shrink (Anchor) fittings.

02 sensors should last at least 80k miles. I get really tired of the "oh, the check engine light is on , but so and so said it's just an 02 sensor and I need to reset the light." At least 50& of the vehicles that I see with the CEL on and showing codes for 02 sensors are due to something else that is malfunctioning, causing the bad reading at the 02 sensor and triggering the code. These things don't need to be replaced half of the time. They are expensive. They can be tested. You can find out if there is some other issue that is causing the problem.

If you drive around with the CEL on, the ECU is not getting the infomation it needs to maintain the correct fuel ratios and is running a baseline mixture which will lead to poor performance and correspondingly poor economy. 02 sensors, your EFI needs them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Good info, I checked the invoice again (three years old) and did not find that the O2 sensors were replaced. So I am thinking that the mech did not change them after all, although he verbally told me that he did. My D90 is at 72, 800
right now, so I have been systematicaly going through the whole vehicle for preventive maintenance. On the fuel related side, so far I have done plugs, wires, distb. cap, eng. vent, plenum related hoses, throttle intake, air filter, fuel filter.
So the air/fuel mix related 02 sensors were my next concern. According to RN, if the CEL light is not on, and idle is smooth, the sensors should be fine. But I am considering replacing the exhaust and catalytic converters soon, so I am assuming that I will have to replace the sensors anyway?

Marc
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

"butt spliced them with a double crimp heat shrink"

Yep, that's what I've done...running three cheapies like this and no problems. As well as various other splices.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor